Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Newspaper wrestles with issue of immigration, just as U.S. d

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... her07.html

Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 12:00 AM

Mike Fancher
    Newspaper wrestles with issue of immigration, just as U.S. does

Words matter, especially with an issue as contentious as immigration.

If you wonder about that, consider the following polar-opposite views expressed by Seattle Times readers with pointed views on the topic. Reader No. 1: "The write-ups that you're giving the illegal aliens in this country, you're covering for them. ... I've been watching the papers every day and your articles are always slanted in favor of illegal immigrants although you call them immigrants and you don't mention illegal. I think that's pretty lousy and I'm going to cancel my subscription."

She says what's happening is an "illegal invasion" and labeling it immigration is "wrong, wrong, wrong."

Reader No. 2: "It is no longer politically correct to refer to immigrants without documents as 'illegal.' The politically correct term is 'undocumented.' The term 'illegal immigrant' or 'legal,' which was used in your article in two instances, is derogatory and demeaning. Remember, no person is illegal, only undocumented."

Executive News Editor Mike Stanton answers that our policy isn't intended to be politically correct or supportive of any side in the debate. Instead, our aim is to use terms that are accurate, impartial and fair.

"We do not use the terms most offensive to people who have come into this country without going through the immigration process, or to those who advocate for them," Stanton said.

"Some people want us to use 'illegal aliens,' because 'aliens' is the actual term in the law. But 'aliens' today has the connotation of creatures from outer space. It sounds dehumanizing, so we don't use it," he added.

We also avoid using "illegals" as a noun, as in "12 illegals caught in Yakima cannery," even though the dictionary regards it as an appropriate use. "It, too, sounds dehumanizing, as if illegality were the essence of the person, so we avoid it," Stanton explained.

We do, however, use the terms "illegal immigration" and "illegal immigrant," as well as "undocumented" in some cases, especially those that refer to the workplace. We believe "illegal" is accurate, impartial and fair.

"Illegal does not mean criminal, it simply means unlawful, not authorized or sanctioned, against the rules," Stanton said. "Illegal immigration is not a crime, but rather a civil infraction. But I don't think anyone can say that someone who comes to this country without going through the immigration process has come here lawfully."

I suspect that readers with fixed opinions on the issue won't find much to like in our policy. The more rigid their position, the less likely they are to accept any labels but the ones that support their conviction.

"People who want us to use terms like 'aliens' and refer to people as 'illegals' seem to want us to make these people sound as bad as possible," Stanton observed.

"People who want us to use 'undocumented' instead of 'illegal' in every case seem to want us to mask the question of legality. But for many people, that's the most important aspect of this issue. For them, it's not a matter of whether immigrants are carrying some documents, but whether they are here legally or illegally," he added.

In quoting people, we allow them to use the terms they prefer. The purpose of our policy is to regulate the language we use, not to censor the people we quote on the issue.

Stanton concludes, "We recognize that this is a powerful, difficult and emotional issue for many people, and that we can't please everyone. But we'll continue to do everything we can to be accurate, impartial and fair as the nation struggles with it."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Remember, no person is illegal, only undocumented."

No person is illegal??? I can see where the newspapers would be torn on this issue - I tear them up everytime I read junk like this!
    "We want justice!"

let's give them what they want, illegals must be DEPORTED!!!

Dictionarys

Let's just call them "illegal people" from another country.
    How about illegal Homosapiens, illegal interloper, criminal invaders, unlawful humanoids...
    undocumented means they have committed an illegal and criminal act
    so therefore they are criminals, not just the accused or suspects.

What does this guy call convicted criminals? Non-Victims!

I can buy W-word being a PC issue. Get real. Illegal Aliens!!!!!!!

I think we should send him a cheap dictionary, with Illegal and Alien hi-lighted and lets add a sticky note for where undocumented should be.

The word undocumented is not even in my 1983 Webster's New World Dictionary. Wonder what it was called back then? W-word is in there. But the F-word isn't. The dictionarys are looking like a good idea.

Illegal is an illegal and by any other name is still an illegal!!!!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is no wonder our people are confused. I have read this article twice and at first I wanted to pull my hair out and then halfway through the second read I truly wanted wanted to pick up a brick and destroy my monitor to ensure that I would never again have to read such painful mind-boggling nonsense.

I worry for Seattle now.

You can not rely upon a news authority this confused; this emotional; this struggling with a fact as simple and clearly defined both by dictionaries and American Law as "illegal alien" and ever hope to learn anything accurate or factual from such a news source.

I worry now that when invaders change from jeans, tennis shoes and backpacks to boots, fatigues and AK-47's...what will they call them so as not to "offend".... suspiciously-attired-unusually-accessorized undocumented immigrants...as they lower their weapons and point them at our overly-sensitive-absurdly-politicized-correctiveness....and blow our brains out?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn