Next target: School kids of non-citizen parents.

In addition to pondering legislation that would deny birth certificates to children born to non-citizens, state Sen. Russell Pearce and others are expected to propose that the state charge tuition for public school children whose parents aren’t citizens.

I’m not sure if these means that grammar school teachers now will have to be cross-trained as immigration agents, but it WOULD guarantee that Arizona will have two – count ‘em – TWO laws that will end up being challenged and going all the way to the Supreme Court.

The birth certificate issue and the tuition issue will have been to the Supreme Court before in one form or another – and lost – but passing legislation that challenges the U.S. Constitution and costs the state a bunch of money (and a bunch of negative publicity) turns out to be a political bonanza for every hack politician looking to win a few votes out here in the desert.

So look for a lot more.

The latest plan – charging the school kids – was outlined in a report by the Arizona Capitol Times.

I don’t believe that I’m going out on a limb here when I predict that folks in public opinion polls will LOVE it.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/EJMontini/85521