Making a Difference: She helps immigrants make their way in U.S.
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: DAVID LEVINSKY
Burlington County Times

Sandy Jenkins can say the words "frog" and "write" in Vietnamese.

But her sparse vocabulary in the language hasn't stopped the Springfield resident from helping an entire family of Vietnamese immigrants learn to speak and write English.

Jenkins, a full-time attorney with the state Judiciary Department, began volunteering as an English-as-a-second-language instructor three years ago. During that time, she has worked exclusively with a family of five immigrants living in the Browns Mills section of Pemberton Township.

She described her task as difficult, but gratifying work, which she performs as a member of Literacy Volunteers of Burlington County.

"I wanted to do something as a volunteer, and I thought something with literacy would suit my skills and interests," Jenkins said recently about her start with the nonprofit group. "I thought I would be helping people improve their English skills. I didn't realize there was such a need for ESL teachers."

Jenkins said she completed an English-as-a-second-language training program sponsored by Literacy Volunteers and then was almost immediately assigned as an instructor for recent immigrants Duc Huynh and An Pham. A couple of months later, she also began working with An Pham's sister No Pham and her parents, Hoa Pham and Be Ba Pham.

"It was very daunting because they're all at varying levels," she said. "I try to teach toward what their goals are."

In addition to teaching the English language, Jenkins also has incorporated lessons about American culture and history, which the family members need to pass a U.S. citizenship test. She also has helped members of the family learn to use computers at the Pemberton Township Library to access Internet resources.
Story continues below
Advertisement Click Here!

"I try to incorporate a lot of things we take for granted, like the holidays. This past Fourth of July I had 17 Vietnamese in my backyard learning about what Americans do," she said.

"I've also taught them things like how to get an Acme Super Card or to use the Internet. These are practical things that they might not know how to do."

Jenkins said she has enjoyed seeing the progress made by the family members, and that she plans on going to graduate school to earn a master's degree in ESL instruction.

"I think I might make a second career out of it someday," she said.

Jenkins' sister, Susan Evans of Mansfield, who nominated Jenkins for Making a Difference, said the instruction and assistance has helped a family of immigrants find their own American dream in Pemberton Township.

"There is so much being said these days in political and social circles about the need for people to speak English, but there are very few who are willing to help newcomers to this country actually learn to speak English," Evans wrote in her nomination letter.

"I am proud that my sister is part of the solution. She is not trying to change the world, just her little piece of it right here in Burlington County."

Email: dlevinsky@phillyBurbs.com

January 02, 2009 03:20 AM