Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

NJ Lawmakers hear get-tough message on immigration

Lawmakers hear get-tough message on immigration

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 006/news01

Saturday, May 26, 2007
    By RAJU CHEBIUM
    Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON
    Telephones at the offices of New Jersey's congressional lawmakers began ringing soon after Senate and White House officials announced a deal on immigration reform.

It's been more than a week and the calls haven't stopped.

Lawmakers say they've gotten hundreds of calls, mostly from people angry that the Senate proposal would allow an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to remain in the United States. Aides to Rep. Jim Saxton said the Mount Holly Republican alone has received 102 calls in the past two weeks, all opposing the deal.

Garden State lawmakers, who are bound to get an earful on immigration from constituents over the weeklong Memorial Day recess, say they can't support the legislation as written.

Rep. Rob Andrews, D-Haddon Heights, reiterated Thursday that the legislation would have to be significantly changed before he'd vote for it on the House floor after the Senate approves it -- if at all.

While it's impractical to deport all illegal immigrants as some critics favor, Andrews said he wants to make sure undocumented workers granted temporary legal status break no other law, work to learn English and pay some back taxes.

Constituents are right to be upset that some of their tax dollars go to pay for health care and other benefits for illegal aliens, he said.

But if all illegal aliens were to leave tomorrow, he said, the amount the nation spends on education and health care would reduce "very, very marginally," Andrews said.

"I acutely understand middle-class frustration," he said, adding that Congress should provide extra money to hire additional immigration officers to reduce the backlog for green cards that has caused years-long delays for thousands of legal Garden State residents.

New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, the son of Cuban immigrants who's been a key player in the immigration debate, also has said he couldn't support the deal, though he worked behind closed doors to reach a compromise between Democrats and Republicans.

To change the terms more to his liking, the Hoboken Democrat has teamed up with Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., to introduce a measure that would make reuniting legal immigrants with their spouses and children living abroad a top priority. It now takes five to 10 years for spouses and underage children of legal immigrants to get green cards, according to Menendez' staff.

Speaking on the Senate floor Wednesday, Menendez urged people to refrain from reflexively condemning all immigration.

"We continue to hear hateful rhetoric used to polarize and divide our country on this issue," he said. "But we must never allow ourselves to buy into the rhetoric -- we must never subscribe to the policies of fear and division driven by xenophobia, nativism and racism."

His counterpart in the Senate, Democrat Frank Lautenberg of Cliffside Park, said he hasn't yet decided how to vote on immigration reform.

Meanwhile, some Garden State Republicans are coming out strongly against granting legal status to undocumented foreigners.

Rep. Frank LoBiondo, R-Ventnor, said allowing those who entered the United States illegally to remain here "is the very definition of amnesty. If the amnesty principles remain as proposed, the Senate should and must defeat the bill. I would be the first to vote against an amnesty bill."

Get ready JERSEY Reps--------- you're up on deck.

Hope you're ready to hear the ROAR of the American People
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: NJ Lawmakers hear get-tough message on immigration

[quote="Kate"]Lawmakers hear get-tough message on immigration

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 006/news01

Saturday, May 26, 2007
    By RAJU CHEBIUM
    Gannett News Service

New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, the son of Cuban immigrants who's been a key player in the immigration debate, also has said he couldn't support the deal, though he worked behind closed doors to reach a compromise between Democrats and Republicans.

Speaking on the Senate floor Wednesday, Menendez urged people to refrain from reflexively condemning all immigration.
    We continue to hear hateful rhetoric used to polarize and divide our country on this issue," he said. "But we must never allow ourselves to buy into the rhetoric -- we must never subscribe to the policies of fear and division driven by xenophobia, nativism and racism.

*** YES MR. MENENDEZ...LET'S REFRAIN FROM YOUR HATE SPEECH....
    the Characterizations of Americans/legal immigrates who are pro-law enforcement are being scolded as native protectionist, xenophobes and racist ….. This practice of name calling is used to deflect the issue, when there is a lack of intelligence to conjure up a better term or argument.
    I notice everytime there is any article of or about Mr. Menendez it starts off with "son of Cuban immigrants " and it does seem by your voting record you are too ethnic to be unbias.

His counterpart in the Senate, Democrat Frank Lautenberg of Cliffside Park, said he hasn't yet decided how to vote on immigration reform.
    quote]

[b^^^]Mr. Lautenberg has voted right along side of Mr. Menendez...the difference of not expressing his views is HE WILL BE RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION AND MENENDEZ WON'T....[/b]
    <div>If a squirrel goes up a politician's pants... You can bet...he'll come-back down hungry.....

</div>

102 calls, right!!and I am the uncle of a monkey!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

GREAT GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS

102 calls, right!! GREAT GOING.

and I am the uncle of a monkey!!
    .....WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???
    <div>If a squirrel goes up a politician's pants... You can bet...he'll come-back down hungry.....

</div>

Re: GREAT GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCBNS

Have you ever heard the (sarcastic) saying and I'm a monkeys uncle!! Its an old one, but then so am I!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Man, that Chuck Hagel is a sellout on amnesty. I used to respect him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

sosadforus wrote:
    Have you ever heard the (sarcastic) saying and I'm a monkeys uncle!! Its an old one, but then so am I!
    Well, I'm so old I can remember when the Dead Sea was only sick.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Re: GREAT GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCBNS

hhahahah..no i never heard it lol...... :P

</div>