Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

NJ Murders would not have happened in Arizona

Triple murder in NJ by an illegal immigrant couldn't have happened in Arizona

Posted by Rachel Alexander
    August 23, 2007 at 11:45 pm

The triple murderer in Newark, NJ, who had been released on bail previously for sexually assaulting a minor and an assault in a bar wouldn't have been freed on bail to commit those murders had he lived in Arizona, thanks to a law Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas helped draft and get passed last fall prohibiting bail for illegal immigrants who commit serious crimes. It's overdue for other jurisdictions to follow the lead of Phoenix and pass laws like this to prevent this from happening again.

The Newark Triple Homicides: Why Prop 100 and Bail Reform Matters
    by Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas

The three execution-style murders that occurred on August 4, 2007 in Newark, New Jersey by an illegal immigrant and other suspects has set off an outcry around the country against local authorities who ignore the status of illegal immigrants who commit serious crimes. These authorities allow them to remain in the country where they may commit more crimes or flee punishment by escaping the country.

Here in Arizona, thanks to the passage of Proposition 100, which I helped draft and campaigned for last year, tragic situations like this are being averted. Illegal immigrants arrested for serious crimes are held without bail, and Immigrations & Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) is notified.

The illegal immigrant responsible for the Newark triple homicides, Jose Carranza, was indicted earlier this year on 31 counts relating to the sexual assault of a girl under age 9 that took place over a span of four years. He was indicted again last month for an assault in a bar. Yet both times he was released on bail.

The Newark authorities didn't bother to notify I.C.E. about Carranza. Carranza was released on $50,000 bail in the assault case and $150,000 bail in the sexual assault indictment. While out on bail the second time, he allegedly shot four victims execution-style, forcing them to their knees and then shooting them in the back of the head. Only one survived.

Arizonas Proposition 100 prohibits bail for illegal immigrants accused of serious crimes. A separate constitutional provision approved by the voters prohibits bail for defendants accused of rape or child molestation. Had the Carranza case occurred in Arizona, both Prop 100 and the second provision would have denied him bail. His immigration status would have been flagged and he would have been held without bail until sentencing and inevitable imprisonment. And in the future, upon release from prison, I.C.E. would be notified to pick him up and deport him.

Local authorities are slowly reacting to these types of grievous crimes and taking steps finally to prevent these situations from happening in the future. Newark city councilman Ron Rice says he will propose legislation which would require the police to notify I.C.E. immediately when a suspected illegal immigrant is arrested for a felony. I encourage all local authorities around the country to follow the lead of Arizona and pass measures similar to Prop 100.

>> Discuss this topic in The Forum

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=528

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    That sounds right they should be given bail being there FEDERAL FUGITIVES!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn