Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NJ-Trial for human trafficking ,showcase for N.J. lawyers

Trial for human trafficking in East Orange, Newark proves a showcase for N.J. lawyers
    By Joe Ryan
    September 27, 2009, 7:39AM

Defense attorney Burkie O. Adetula, left, and his assistant Deola Dosunmu arrive at the Federal courthouse in Newark for a human trafficking trial.NEWARK -- On day one of the human trafficking trial unfolding in Newark, the jurors shuffled into a wood-paneled federal courtroom while bearing largely blank expressions, as if bracing for weeks of legal tedium.

Then the lawyers took center stage, and the show began.

In a sweeping opening argument, Assistant U.S. Attorney Nancy Hoppock painted the woman on trial, Akouavi Kpade Afolabi, as a villain plucked from the pages of Charles Dickens, saying Afolabi took girls from poor families in West Africa and mercilessly forced them to toil without pay in New Jersey hair-braiding salons. The defense lawyer, Olubukola O. Adetula, delivered a fiery retort, sweating, pacing and waving his arms as he accused prosecutors of misstating facts and misinterpreting the culture of West Africa, his homeland.

Jurors sat up in their leatherbacked chairs. This, it seemed, would be interesting.

Just as a successful stage play depends on good actors, a riveting criminal trial often depends on the skill and style of the attorneys. Yes, the soaring oration and clever rhetoric is carefully crafted to convince 12 souls performing their civic duty. But it also makes for fascinating viewing.

“There is a real pleasure when you get to watch a good lawyer,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Olubukola O. Adetula, delivered a fiery retort, sweating, pacing and waving his arms as he accused prosecutors of misstating facts and misinterpreting the culture of West Africa, his homeland.
    Guess what dude???? You ain't in West Africa, this is the US and we frown on "slavery"! Guess it's different when it's blacks forcing other blacks into indentured servitude, eh?

[quote]
    Hoppock and Chen have called witness after witness who have testified that Afolabi — known in Togo simply as “Sisterâ€

Quote:
    "Within weeks of Afolabi’s arrest, Adetula became her court-appointed lawyer. He specializes in clients from West Africa and especially Nigeria, where he remains active in politics and is an honorary chieftain."

Reply:
    And with which he probably is allowed to hold dual citizenship even if he also is a naturalized U.S. citizen.

ABOLISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP AFTER AT AGE 18 (the age at which citizens are eligibile to vote in U.S. elections): MAKE THEM CHOOSE WHICH PASSPORT THEY WISH TO CARRY, AND TO WHICH NATION THEY SUBSCRIBE ALLEGIANCE!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas2step
    Quote:
    "Within weeks of Afolabi’s arrest, Adetula became her court-appointed lawyer. He specializes in clients from West Africa and especially Nigeria, where he remains active in politics and is an honorary chieftain."

Reply:
    And with which he probably is allowed to hold dual citizenship even if he also is a naturalized U.S. citizen.

ABOLISH DUAL CITIZENSHIP AFTER AT AGE 18 (the age at which citizens are eligibile to vote in U.S. elections): MAKE THEM CHOOSE WHICH PASSPORT THEY WISH TO CARRY, AND TO WHICH NATION THEY SUBSCRIBE ALLEGIANCE!
    Uh Oh, not sure I agree with you there, Texas2step. I was born here in the US, my allegiance will always be with America, and I proudly proclaim BEING American. BUT I also am a Canadian citizen, and I am proud of that too. My Father was born on the rez in Quebec, he became an American after serving in the US Navy during WWII. I have family in both Countries, so it would be hard for me to give one or the other up.

ELE

Slave majority in this country are the American tax payers.

Some of the worst offenders of Slavery in our country's early history were the black people from Africa. Many sold their own family members and/or friends.

It seems we haven't come to far in terms of what people will do for money.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)