Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NM Man Arrested in Dragging Assualt

LINK to Article

Apr 2, 9:31 AM EST

N.M. Man Arrested in Dragging Assault

By ANNA MACIAS AGUAYO
    Associated Press Writer

GALLUP, N.M. (AP) -- A 24-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the dragging of a Hispanic man behind a vehicle, which left the victim with burn-like abrasions over half his body.

John Pete Talamante was booked Friday on charges of kidnapping, aggravated battery and assault with intent to commit a violent felony.

Talamante was being held without bond in the McKinley County Detention Center, said Gallup police Chief Sylvester Stanley. More arrests were likely, he said.

The victim, 32-year-old Fausto Arellano, remained hospitalized in critical condition. He had been bound by the ankles and pulled by a rope for some 4,000 feet on Easter morning, according to police.

Stanley said narcotics could be an "indirect motive" in the dragging, but added that officers had no indication that Arellano was involved in drugs.

The single father has two sons, ages 16 and 11.

"This man is like Superman to his sons. He is their idol," said Pedro Andablo, Arellano's former brother-in-law.

Police who traced the route of the dragging say the rope snapped or Arellano broke free, and he crawled to the side of the road and collapsed.

Gallup, a town of 20,000 just east of the Arizona state line, is known as one of the largest American Indian trading centers in the Southwest.

Eurell T. Malone, owner of the M & M Trading Co., where Arellano has worked for 10 years, said the crime was senseless.

"You have to be some kind of animal to drag a person behind a car," Malone said. "Everyone's asking, 'Why him? He was a kind and gentle man.'"

I read the same article on another site and it does state that it isn't a hate crime because the suspect is also hispanic. Also they said additional arrests were going to made.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Edit:Link by Mr_Magoo
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hey Butterbean, good "reporting." I think I read this story before they identified the suspects and the crime was just first being reported.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by watchman
    Hey Butterbean, good "reporting." I think I read this story before they identified the suspects and the crime was just first being reported.
    Thanks. I read about the dragging on friday. I wanted to hold back and make sure of all the facts before posting, because I was curious about the public reaction. You remember the dragging during Bush's campaign. Everyone blames everyone else, for the crimes of a few thugs. I didn't want people to question the presence or timing of the MMP, or any other anti-immigration groups.
    You know how THOSE people can be.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn