Stolen identity led to illegal immigrant’s employment
Posted at: 05/04/2010 9:58 PM | Updated at: 05/04/2010 10:47 PM
By: Jeff Maher, Eyewitness News 4

An Albuquerque man wants New Mexico to pass an immigration law similar to Arizona's after an illegal immigrant allegedly stole his identity to get a job, while he tried to find work, but couldn't.

Juan Canalas-Zavala, 23, was arrested by Albuquerque police late Tuesday morning at a construction site near I-25 and Paseo Del Norte. Police say for almost two years, Zavala worked for the construction company, AS Horner, earning over $20,000, while his victim applied for food stamps.

At work and on paper, Zavala went by the name Chris Urioste. But the real Chris Urioste is a 49-year-old unemployed construction worker, who mistakenly left his identification, social security card, and birth certificate on the counter of an Albuquerque gas station two years ago when he was looking for a job.

When Urioste went to apply for food stamps recently, he was rejected because on file he was employed with AS Horner.

"I corrected them, told them I wasn't working for Horner, that I was unemployed," says Urioste.

Once Albuquerque police did some digging, they discovered that Zavala had stolen Urioste's ID, and got a job at AS Horner. After a brief foot chase Tuesday at the construction site, Zavala was arrested.

"It's getting out of hand," says Urioste, angry. "You really don't realize until it's happened to you, and I never thought it would happen to me."

Eyewitness News 4 asked Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz where the city stands with its immigration policy.

"The policy continues to be reviewed," he said. "The Mayor has made it clear from the very beginning that he wanted a very close review of the policy that the Albuquerque Police Department uses when it comes to investigations involving suspected illegal immigrants and crimes."

Zavala has been charged with identity theft, fraud, and forgery, and he also faces immigration charges.

Urioste, meanwhile, continues searching for work.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s154 ... ro+News%29