I wonder how many of these people are illegal and if they got low interest loans and other assistance to open their businesses? I would bet that an American citizen would not get the same assistance they needed to start a new business!

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... xml&coll=2

Number of Hispanic-owned businesses declines in Alabama, but economic power doubles Boom fuels Hispanic enterprises
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
KELLI HEWETT TAYLOR
News staff writer
Sales more than doubled at Hispanic-owned businesses in Jefferson and Shelby counties from 1997 to 2002, according to a new economic report released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Jose Pena says his West Valley Avenue shop, Estilo Latino (Latin Style), has grown so much in the last two years that he's planning a second location. He specializes in clothes and accessories for Hispanic events, such as first communions and quinceaneras, Sweet 15 birthday parties.

"We are running out of room because of sales," Pena said. "Here, they feel comfortable. They are not looked at like they are going to steal something."

Census data show Hispanic-owned businesses grew 31 percent nationally from 1997 to 2002 - three times the national average for all businesses, according the census report "Survey of Business Owners - Hispanic-Owned Firms: 2002." Hispanics are also the fastest-growing minority in the United States.

Pena said his is just one of many area businesses succeeding because of the growing Hispanic population.

Jefferson County had 384 businesses with a combined $77.1 million in sales for 2002, the report shows. That's up from 385 businesses producing $30.1 million in sales in 1997.

Popular businesses for Hispanics in Alabama include construction, retail and professional services.

Angel Cienfuegos, who opened one of Hoover's first Hispanic retail stores in 1994, said the competition is tougher now. He and his wife, Martha, have expanded their Lorna Road shop, Imperio, from music, gifts and snacks to include document translation and notary public service.

"There are more places offering the same services," Cienfuegos said. "We are spreading out all over Birmingham. It's good."

Shelby County reported some of the state's most dramatic growth in Hispanic-owned businesses. In 2002, 239 such businesses reported total sales of $34.4 million. That's more than double the 1997 statistics, when 111 businesses showed $14.3 million in sales.

"I think it's reflective of the broader trend in the country and the Southeast region of the increasing economic power and presence the Hispanic community has," said Phil Sandoval, of the Hispanic Business Council of the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Alabama, however, defied the national trend with an overall drop in the number of Hispanic-owned businesses: 2,523 in 2002, compared with 2,919 in 1997.

But the surviving businesses remained strong. Across the state, Hispanic-owned businesses reported $740.1 million in sales compared with the $396.8 million five years ago. Overall, the growing Hispanic-owned business sales made up less than 1 percent of the state's $226.6 billion in total sales for 2002.

Hispanic business owners say business in Alabama is still growing and they are watching cities such as Atlanta for glimpses of what's to come.

"I'm expecting competition," Pena said. "And I'm preparing for it."

E-mail: ktaylor@bhamnews.com