Number of troops on the border could drop to 300 in two weeks

By Steve Ramirez/Sun-News reporter
Article Launched: 09/16/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

Sun-News reporter

LAS CRUCES — As the number of National Guard troops drops along New Mexico's border with Mexico, the state's congressional delegation is concerned about the potential effects downsizing could cause.

Two weeks from today, there could be as few as 300 National Guard personnel stationed on the border as part of New Mexico's share of troops participating in Operation Jump Start. A little more than three months ago there was about 1,000 Guard members along the state's border.

Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., asks why mess with a good thing?

"I am concerned that if we prematurely reduce the number of Guard personnel it will be difficult to maintain recent achievement," said Bingaman in a July 16 letter to President Bush. "É I recognize that the National Guard was sent to the Southwest border with the goal of assisting
and Border Protection) until a sufficient number of Border Patrol agents could be hired and trained. Although we are moving in the right direction, I do not believe that there are enough Border Patrol agents on the ground in New Mexico yet to justify a reduction of National Guard personnel by over 50 percent."

A similar stance is shared by Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M. In July, he, Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., also wrote Bush, urging him to keep Operation Jump Start going.

"I remain concerned about the plan to drawdown Operation Jump Start," Domenici said. "It was started as a stop-gap measure to improve border security while we hired and trained more Border Patrol agents, but we should reconsider diminishing the program at this point. As I understand it, both the Border Patrol and the participating guardsmen are benefiting from this program and I would like to see it continued."

But at least for now, plans are to end Operation Jump Start next June.

Domenici and Kyl are trying to revive an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill, for the federal government's 2008 fiscal year — which begins Oct. 1 — that could provide $400 million to continue Operation Jump Start. The Senate is scheduled to resume debate on the bill on Monday.

Why it was started

In June 2006, the Department of Homeland Security rolled out Operation Jump Start and deployed 6,000 guardsmen along the entire Southwest border to support CBP, which had been increasingly stretched thin by the inflow of illegal immigrants.

Since then, apprehensions along the Mexican border, from Texas west to California, have dropped by 25 percent. In the Border Patrol's El Paso sector, which includes New Mexico and far West Texas, apprehensions dropped 43 percent in the first year of Operation Jump Start, and 61 percent in the Deming area.

"In very simple and realistic terms, their participation has had a definite positive effect," said agent Martin Hernandez, CBP spokesman for the El Paso sector.

National Guard units from Arkansas, Georgia, West Virginia, Montana and New Mexico have had the largest number of troops involved in the state's portion of Operation Jump Start, but soldiers and units from across the U.S. have also participated to varying degrees during the deployment.

A win-win situation

Through Operation Jump Start, guardsmen have gained hands-on training, including vehicle and fleet maintenance, information technology support, aviation support, intelligence support, surveillance and reconnaissance support, and intelligence analysis.

In return, the National Guard has built more than nine miles of vehicle barriers along the border since last October, most of that to the west of Columbus, where illegal crossings were rampant. The National Guard has also operated surveillance towers and installed infrastructure that has helped Border Patrol agents watch for illegal crossings.

The extra eyes to watch, and extra hands to handle clerical duties and vehicle maintenance, has enabled more Border Patrol agents to be in the field instead of tending to those duties, officials said.

The extra surveillance has also had a positive economic effect on Deming, where the National Guard has established a forward operating base for almost a year.

"Lodgers' tax alone has increased more than 24 percent from 2006 to 2007," said Deming Mayor Andres Silva. "It grew from $5.8 million during the 2005 to 2006 fiscal year to $6.7 million for the 2006 to 2007 fiscal year. We know that people are spending more."

Silva added the combination of additional National Guard troops and Border Patrol agents has been a significant factor in Deming's increase in lodgers' taxes.

"A lot of those Border Patrol agents have been going to the training center in Playas, and have been commuting between here and there," Silva said. "They've needed a place to stay and that's been in our hotel and motel rooms. The relationship between them and the community has been nothing short of fantastic. They've been very good neighbors, very good to us."

If New Mexico's congressional delegation needed any help in convincing the president and Congress to keep the National Guard and Operation Jump Start in New Mexico, Silva said he's ready and more than willing.

"I've already started lobbying Bingaman, Domenici and (U.S. Rep. Steve) Pearce," Silva said. "Without a doubt, I'd hate to see them go. There's so much good, in so many ways, that the National Guard has had a positive impact on Deming and the region. I'd like to see them stay around."

Steve Ramirez can be reached at sramirez@lcsun-news.com

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_6907282