Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NUMBERS COUNT IN THE IMMIGRATION DEBATE

Numbers count in the immigration debate

By Bonnie Erbe
    November 30, 2007

No public debate about the impact of immigration on American life is fair or complete without reference to the most recent data from the Center for Immigration Studies.

Let me state for the record, as I always do when writing about this thorny issue, I am the proud granddaughter of a Cuban immigrant. Immigrants, like native-born Americans, are good people – hard-working and patriotic. Individual immigrants are not problematic; mass immigration, both legal and illegal, is. Race should not figure into the debate about mass immigration. Quality of life and immigration's impact on the U.S. environment and government resources should drive the debate.

Mass immigration is ruining the quality of life for the children and grandchildren of immigrants already in the United States. It is chewing up and paving over what little open space remains, driving up air-and water-pollution rates, amplifying the crescendo of suburban sprawl and placing a larger burden on already stressed publicly financed institutions such as the public school system and welfare.

The reason the new CIS data are so important is that most public debate on immigration ignores this central fact: Immigration, both legal and illegal, has ballooned to record levels since the early 1990s.

According to a report by the Population Reference Bureau this September, “New estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006 American Community Survey show that the number of foreign-born people in the United States has reached an all-time high of more than 37 million.â€

I think the biggest problem that people have is that too many have come into this country illegally in too short of time. In the past immigrants came from Europe, and yes they brought problems with them...however these countries did not share a common border. When America halted immigration it halted it! They couldn't just step over the border. My biggest problem with illegal immigration is that we just don't see any end in sight. That is what ultimately bothers me. We've injected so much poverty and crime into our culture in a very short time span.

Immigrants, like native-born Americans, are good people – hard-working and patriotic. Individual immigrants are not problematic; mass immigration, both legal and illegal, is. Race should not figure into the debate about mass immigration. Quality of life and immigration's impact on the U.S. environment and government resources should drive the debate.

Mass immigration is ruining the quality of life for the children and grandchildren of immigrants already in the United States. It is chewing up and paving over what little open space remains, driving up air-and water-pollution rates, amplifying the crescendo of suburban sprawl and placing a larger burden on already stressed publicly financed institutions such as the public school system and welfare.
    The author of these words should be given a pulitzer prize. Excellent writing and hitting the nail on the head!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)