Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NY: DMV BEATS ALIEN SUIT

DMV BEATS ALIEN SUIT
    By MICHAEL GORMLEY, AP
    PrintEmailDigg ItStory Bottom

June 8, 2007 -- ALBANY - New York has the right to deny driver's licenses to immigrants who can't prove they are in the country legally, the state's highest court ruled yesterday.

A lawsuit brought by immigrants and their advocates claimed a state Department of Motor Vehicles policy created by Gov. George Pataki's administration "is essentially an effort to deny driver's licenses to immigrants not legally present in New York," the Court of Appeals decision stated.

"To state the obvious, undocumented aliens lack documents," wrote Judge Robert Smith in the 5-2 decision, "And the DMV's right to insist on such documents is undisputed."

At issue was a rule issued Sept. 6, 2001, just five days before terrorists attacked the World Trade Center, requiring driver's-license applicants to provide federal immigration documents to prove they were in the country legally. Some of the 9/11 hijackers had obtained driver's licenses.

The state has long required applicants who don't have Social Security numbers to submit a Social Security Administration letter stating the person wasn't eligible to work in the United States but was present in the country legally. The 2001 rule made immigrants provide more proof.

The lawsuit was launched after the state started cracking down in 2004, an effort that was expected to result in the loss of driver's licenses for 300,000 illegal immigrants.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06082007/ne ... ey__ap.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"To state the obvious, undocumented aliens lack documents," wrote Judge Robert Smith in the 5-2 decision, "And the DMV's right to insist on such documents is undisputed."
    Oh my god...a logical and clear thinking judge??? And one in New York??? I think that there is yet still hope for America and her people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    5-2 decision
    Are you kidding me, two judges actually claimed an illegal is entitled to a driver's license. Folks, our judicial system is seriously broken in this country.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Oh my god...a logical and clear thinking judge??? And one in New York??? I think that there is yet still hope for America and her people.
    I think I'm going to faint I didn't think we'd find one in the tri-state area!

Wow! Common Sense from a JUDGE, in NY???? Hot Damn!!

MW
    You guys are easy to impress.

I'm more shocked that two judges were prepared to actually aid and abet illegal immigrants. For goodness sake, the law is the law! Well, I used to think so anway.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn