Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NYC-Newcomers Have the Numbers to Upend City Politics

July 13, 2008

Newcomers Have the Numbers to Upend City Politics

By FERNANDA SANTOS

New immigrants accounted for at least one-third of the increase in the number of New York City voters since 2004, while the number of Irish, Italian and Jewish voters, who together represent the traditional core of the city’s political establishment, decreased slightly, according to an analysis of voter registration records.

The transformation of the voter rolls portends a momentous shift in the ethnic makeup of the city’s electorate that threatens to upend the balance of power that has governed local politics for decades.

With so many seats coming open next year — term limits will force the mayor, comptroller, public advocate, four of the five borough presidents and two-thirds of the 51-member City Council to leave office — cultivating voters among the city’s various ethnic communities could prove both crucial and challenging for those seeking election.

“For 2009, you basically have to forget the old campaign model and go back to the drawing board to come up with a new strategy,â€
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Years ago, when my parents first voted after becoming citizens, they learned to stay away from ethnic political rallies. Instead, they had me translate what the American papers were saying about the candidates.

The reason was that the ethnic groups TOLD us WHO to vote for and my parents were not buying that. They did not want to be told whom to vote for, but who was the best person for the position.

I'll never forget my father raging at his club "I AM AN AMERICAN! You can't tell me what to do anymore!" We didn't lose our heritage or traditions, we created NEW ones.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

...group called Bangladeshis for Obama held a voter-registration drive ...
    Bangladesh is 80% Muslim, which makes it one of the largest Muslim nations in the world. Since Obama makes a big deal out of being Christian, why are Muslims so gung-ho about him????

Thanks for sharing the inspiring story about your parents miguelina. Needless to say, our country would be in alot better shape if more people thought like this.