Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NYC policeman indicted in shooting death of unarmed immigran

NYC policeman indicted in shooting death of unarmed immigrant

NEW YORK (AP) -- A police officer has been indicted in the shooting death of an unarmed immigrant after a car accident in the Bronx, attorneys for the officer and the victim said.

Steve London, an attorney for the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association who represents Officer Raphael Lora, said his client was asked by the Bronx district attorney to appear in court Wednesday for the unsealing of the grand jury indictment.

The district attorney declined to comment.

London said he did not know what the charges would be, but said his client "acted professionally and was justified on the night in question."

The attorney who represents the victim, Fermin Arzu, confirmed the indictment, but also could not say what the charges might be.

"The grand jury heard the evidence and came to a conclusion that there was probable cause to believe a crime was committed," Sanford Rubenstein said.

Police have said that Lora, 37, who was off duty, fired five times while trying to stop Arzu from leaving the scene of the accident on May 18. The Honduran immigrant died at the scene.

The shooting happened across the street from the officer's home in the Longwood section of the Bronx.

"This off-duty officer took action to protect his community from an obviously dangerous drunk driver who had already crashed into two parked vehicles," PBA president Patrick J. Lynch said in a statement Wednesday.

"The officer, who never fired his weapon before on the job, was subsequently forced to fire in order to protect his own life and to prevent possible injury to others.

"We can only speculate about what might have happened if this out of control drunk driver was allowed to continue his trail of destruction. A criminal indictment was unwarranted in this case," said Lynch.

http://breakingnews.nydailynews.com/dyn ... TE=DEFAULT

Police Officer is indicted in Shooting

A Bronx grand jury indicted an off-duty police officer on a first-degree manslaughter charge yesterday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed building porter after a car accident in May, according to a person with direct knowledge of the case.

The indictment against the officer, Raphael Lora, 37, is to be unsealed today in State Supreme Court.

Late on May 18, Officer Lora fired five shots at Fermin Arzu, 41, after Mr. Arzu crashed the minivan he was driving into a parked car in the Longwood section of the Bronx, where both men lived.

Officer Lora told investigators that he shot Mr. Arzu only after he was pulled by the vehicle when Mr. Arzu tried to drive away from the scene of the accident. Mr. Arzu’s blood-alcohol level was higher than the legal driving limit of 0.08 percent at the time of the shooting, his lawyer said.

The Bronx district attorney’s office announced the indictment, but did not specify the charges. The person who reported the manslaughter charge spoke on the condition of anonymity because it is a violation of the law to discuss grand jury proceedings, which are secret.

First-degree manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 10 to 25 years.

Sanford A. Rubenstein, one of the lawyers representing the Arzu family, said the indictment was only a first step.

“This is the beginning of the journey for justice for the Arzu family,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What did the NY Times fail to mention?

The NY Post reported he was an Immigrant...Hmm, usually they say recent immigrant when they talk about ILLEGAL Immigrants!

Actually I'm very surprised that the NY Daily News included the FACTS!

I apologize for stretching the thread but I can't figure out how not to.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

if i was being dragged by a drunk driver i might do the same.

This fine officer deserves a medal, protect and serve 7/24 would be proud
    to have him for a neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    As would I Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    As would I Jim.
    Now in all honesty, if this had been a US citizen who behaved so stupidly I doubt we would hear a word about it. If you are stopped by a police officer, you don't reach for the glove compartment or drive off with him half in your car. It is only because this drunk is one of the Chosen People, these immigrants that contribute so much to the US, that we are even hearing about it. I bet MALDEF and the ACLU are just salivating at the thought of putting a US citizen behind bars.

Now we will have to work to get this guy out of jail along with Ramos and Compean, Gilmer Hernandez. When will this stop?

Of course he's being represented by Al "Sharpy" Sharpton's pal, Sanford Rubinstein. Chief counsel to the swine and ambulance-chaser extraordinaire.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake