Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama, activists push on immigration reform

Obama, activists push on immigration reform

By ERICA WERNER
    Associated Press
    Monday, June 28, 2010
    WASHINGTON, D.C.

President Barack Obama enlisted activists and labor leaders in a push for comprehensive immigration legislation that will showcase Republican opposition and include a speech by the president.

The strategy was discussed during a meeting today by a range of prominent labor leaders and activist groups.

Participants said Obama reiterated his support for immigration legislation but noted the many political realities that have stalled it in Congress.

Latino leaders say they will work in coming months to pressure all Republicans to give way and support an immigration bill -- and make all opponents pay at the ballot box if they don't.

"We're going to make absolutely crystal clear who's at fault here," said Eliseo Medina, a leader of the Service Employees International Union.

Prospects for passage of comprehensive immigration legislation look very bleak this election year, and even many Democrats are very wary of wading into this hot-button issue especially so close to election time.

But Obama, who pledged as a candidate to make immigration reform a top priority during his first year in office, faces huge pressure from the Hispanic community to act -- or at least to try.

That's only intensified in the wake of Arizona's passage of a controversial law that requires police officers to question a person's immigration status if there's reason to suspect the person is in the country illegally. Obama has spoken out against the law and asked the Justice Department to examine its legality.

Activists anticipate that the Justice Department will sue to overturn the law, but in Monday's meeting Obama said that decision would be left solely up to the department, and he didn't give a timeline, participants said.

The White House said Obama will deliver a speech soon on "the importance of passing comprehensive immigration reform" but didn't give any more details.

Given the difficulties of achieving a comprehensive bill, participants said there was also discussion of attempting to pass smaller pieces of legislation -- such as a bill focused on agricultural workers, or one that would help illegal immigrant youths attend college (DREAM ACT).

Obama is to meet on Tuesday with Hispanic members of Congress.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... z0sCZLgB4T

The White House said Obama will deliver a speech soon on "the importance of passing comprehensive immigration reform" but didn't give any more details.
    Absolutely nothing he could say to make it palatable to me!

Obama is to meet on Tuesday with Hispanic members of Congress.
    Will it be on C-span?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I also read that Obama will discussing his "immigration reform" amnesty scheme plans with lawmakers tomorrow (Tuesday).

And we must be on guard to watch out if they start peddling the AgJobs and "Dream Act" amnesties as noted in this article.

Let's stay active and rebut the special interest-funded propaganda.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

i agree that we do have to stay vigilant and very observant.
    as for the meeting on C-Span, i wouldnt bet on it being there

Please let them scream and shout the demands! Riot in the street please.

this ONLY Drives up the darn wackyness that they want and how demanding and In Your Face they become.

They don't want to assimilate, they just want it thier way or else.

OB1 just talks the talk for them

Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!