Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Obama talks to press on AF1 ~ Immigration Reform

POLITICO

Obama talks to press on AF1

By CAROL E. LEE | 4/28/10 9:22 PM EDT

Obama tells reporters he wants Congress to press forward with immigration reform. AP

In a rare appearance in the press cabin on Air Force One, President Obama told reporters Wednesday night that he wants Congress to press forward with comprehensive immigration reform, but said it would be difficult to do without Republican support.

"It's a matter of political will," Obama said during a surprise visit to back of the plane. "We've gone through a very tough year, and I've been driving Congress pretty hard."

Asked specifically if he planned to push for immigration reform this year, Obama said he has made calls to Republicans on the issue because while he believes he can get the majority of Democrats on board, he will need Republican votes to pass the measure.

The president, who pointed to Arizona’s immigration law as an example of why he wants comprehensive federal immigration legislation, said the White House is "examining" the Arizona immigration law to determine if the federal government can challenge it.

"I understand people's frustrations about the border," Obama said, repeating the sentiment at least twice.

Obama's surprise Q&A with the pool of reporters that always flies with him in the back of Air Force One comes as tensions between the White House and the press corps are running high. The White House Correspondents Association met recently with press secretary Robert Gibbs to discuss concerns among the press corps about access and other issues.

Obama also discussed climate change legislation, financial regulatory reform and the Supreme Court nomination he is expected to make in coming weeks.

The president said there is still work on an energy bill to be done, but he at least wanted Congress to "start a process."

Obama congratulated Senate Republicans and Democrats for reaching a deal to move financial regulatory reform to the floor and said he hopes "we can get this done quickly."

"I'm very pleased," he said. "This shouldn't have to be a partisan issue."

Obama was asked about the notion of conservative activism from the bench and whether that would affect his Supreme Court appointment. After discussing at length the feeling in the 1960s and 1970s that liberals were guilty of judicial activism, Obama said: "I think it's important to understand the concept of judicial restraint cuts both ways."

The president declined to weigh in on Goldman Sachs, only saying that most Americans might find some of the behavior of the big financial institutions out of whack with mainstream.

"I don't want to comment on a pending case," he said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36527.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    In a rare talk with reporters on Air Force One, President Obama suggested that the prospects of immigration reform this year may come down to Republican support.

"We're examining it now," he said, according to the pool report. He added twice, "I understand people's frustrations" about the issue.

But asked if he would push for a bill this year, he said:

"I've made calls to Republicans..this is a difficult issue..I think I can get a majority of Democrats, but I need some help from Republicans. We had some help two years ago."

He praised Republican South Carolina Senator Lindsay Graham for his work on the issue, and said: "my hope is that I can get a working group to move on this." (8:19 p.m.)

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, will be on the Hill Thursday afternoon to discuss U.S. counter-terrorism efforts with Senate Democrats at their weekly lunch, according to a Democratic aide. The unclassified briefing is set for 2pm, the aide said. (9:23 p.m.)

http://www.politico.com/politico44/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)