Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama's Secret Lame-Duck Strategy, Part II?

When I worried that the Obama White House might have a plan to enact the so-called DREAM Act in "some sort of insidiuous tax-cuts-for-amnesty grand bargain," I figured it was just paranoid speculation. That's what bloggers are for, right? Unfortunately, the possibility of a lame-duck grand bargain that would include a big immigration amnesty has become more realistic since then.

Two things have happened: (1) The White House, Hill Republicans, and Hill Democrats have appointed a special negotiating group to hash out lame-duck issues, especially what to do about the expiring Bush tax cuts, and (2) 42 Senate Republicans have signed a letter pledging to vote against cloture "on any legislative item [including, presumably, the DREAM Act] until the Senate has agreed" on a plan to extend the tax cuts and also to fund the government.

That second development might seem to preclude consideration of the DREAM Act, but it doesn't. DREAM would just have to follow a broader tax deal—or maybe be part of it. I'll let Congressional Quarterly (CQ) take if from there:

The decision to create the special negotiating group on taxes sounds like a sign both the administration and Hill Republicans really want a deal this month ...

But the tax talkers are not limited to talking only about taxes, and the fact that Obama has put two of his top people in the room means he’s committed to winning something in return for giving in to the GOP on the lower rates—the repeal of "don’t ask, don’t tell," for example, or the arms control treaty or maybe even Reid’s immigration bill. All 42 Senate Republicans signaled as much today, in a letter vowing to block any lame-duck legislation until they get their way on taxes (but hinting they’d be open to deal elsewhere if they do get their way). [Emphasis added]

In other words, the Republican "cloture wall" isn't necessarily the end of DREAM at all. It might just set up a negotiation that produces (a) Republican victory on the tax issues they say are "priorities" and (b) a payoff to Democrats in exchange. DREAM could be that payoff ... 4:49 p.m.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/kausfiles ... rt-ii.html

TELL YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES NO TAX CUTS FOR AMNESTY!!!

Great. Thanks. Just when I was starting to feel more confident.

Just kidding, I'd rather know the truth, so we keep fighting as long as we have to. The Lame Duck session only lasts about 2-3 more weeks, right?
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

That's what I'm afraid of the GOP holding the Dream Act hostage to keep tax cuts for the rich(themselves).
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Republicans would actually start to negotiate in good faith, once they win the tax cut round. Politics, after all is a dirty, sneaky, double crossing business. That's what they get paid the Big Bucks for. Anything could happen.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)