Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OH: Illegal Immigrants A Local Issue, Too

Illegal Immigrants A Local Issue, Too

By the News-Register

Bellaire Village Council members may be on to something — in regard to the nation’s problem with illegal immigrants.

Council voted recently to adopt an ordinance making it illegal for any individual or business in the village to employ workers who lack documents allowing them to work in the United States. In other words, council members are taking local action against those who encourage illegal immigrants to come here, and then provide them with jobs.

At first glance, the measure may appear to be no more than Bellaire officials jumping on the bandwagon regarding illegal immigrants. It also may appear to be unnecessary duplication of state and federal laws concerning those who employ illegal immigrants.

Perhaps it is more than that.

The federal government has demonstrated persuasively that it cannot or will not enforce laws intended to curb illegal immigration. State officials, while probably more serious about the matter, have limited resources to enforce such rules.

But it is a different story at the local level. Officials in Bellaire and other villages, towns and cities are more likely to hear about situations in which illegal immigrants are at work. In the case of Bellaire, village officials have a concrete financial incentive not just to look the other way when they hear of such situations: Included in council’s ordinance is a provision that anyone caught violating the provision can be fined as much as $500. Jail terms of as much as six months also can be employed.

And the fine is $500 for each day of each offense. In other words, an employer caught with undocumented workers who had been on the job for a few weeks could find himself shelling out thousands of dollars — and paying it straight into the village treasury.

Clearly, illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be dealt with effectively by Congress and the president. However, actions such as those being taken by Bellaire council may be helpful. We encourage officials in other Ohio Valley municipalities to consider similar action.

Section: Editorials Posted: 6/15/2007

http://www.theintelligencer.net/editori ... leID=20756

Bellaire is in Ohio, along the river. Home of the "Big Reds". At one time this was a thriving community with many good jobs. I worked across the river in Benwood, WV @ Wheeling Pittsburg Steel's pipe mill. The mill is closed, but Whg. -Pitt. still makes steel. It's a much smaller company than it was 15 - 30 years ago.

I think the famous Gula hot dogs are still available.

In fact most American steel companys no longer exist. Armco, Bethleham, LTV, Weirton and many others are gone.

People in the Oh Valley will give you the shirt off their back, if you're down and out. Try and take one of their few remaining jobs and they get really upset.

America needs to take back their jobs. We need to start the buy American and only made by Americans campaign.

Enough of this mess with americans wouldn't do this job. We need to do free trade so that our food can made unsafe. What is wrong with the people that are suppose to represent the American people. If they want to work for other countries they need to go to work for the UN or Nato but try say that they represent Americans and are trying to protect us.

I think I'll just forward a copy of this to our mayor and aldermen...

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Beck,

I have been trying to do American only thing. I feel like
    if I am doing it, others are, too. I buy nothing anymore,
    except groceries and even then I buy tomatoes from
    Canada. I am soon going to start growing my own
    veggies. Takes forever in the grocery anymore for reading
    all the labels..

I am having to move again because of yet, again, another
    apt to condo conversion. I am putting everything in storage
    now. But did notice that Sterilite plastic containers are made
    in America. Never would have thought that. Sorry, rambling, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthelight
    Beck,

I have been trying to do American only thing. I feel like
    if I am doing it, others are, too. e.

Good for you !