Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Ohio Sheriff Defies Immigrants by Billboard and by Blog

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/31/us/31 ... tml?ref=us

July 31, 2006
    Sheriff Defies Immigrants by Billboard and by Blog
    By JULIA PRESTON
    HAMILTON, Ohio, July 30 — “I’m outspoken about illegal aliens,” Sheriff Richard K. Jones of Butler County told a visitor to his office. “You may have picked up on that.”

To eliminate doubts about his views, Sheriff Jones posted six billboards by roadways in this proudly conservative blue-collar county. “Hire an illegal — break the law!” the signs warn, with a photograph of the sheriff.

He also took out half-page advertisements in local newspapers to convey his message, and he set up a blog to promote a boycott of local businesses that employ illegal immigrants. The sheriff then opened a tip line so citizens could report any employers they suspected.

And right outside the sheriff’s office, yellow street signs read “Illegal Aliens Here,” with an arrow pointing to the adjoining jailhouse.

“I wanted to let the federal government know that if they couldn’t find any illegals, I’ve got some right here in my jail,” said the sheriff, a conservative Republican.

The sheriff has drawn complaints from Hispanic business owners, who say their customers stay home and their sales drop whenever he speaks out.

“Every time the sheriff talks on the radio, people call me to ask if the immigration police are in the street,” said Miguel Garcia, 31, a legal Mexican immigrant who owns Supermercado Garcia, a grocery store in Hamilton.

In May, Sheriff Jones sent his deputies to a construction site after a report that tension was brewing between American and immigrant workers. He detained 18 immigrants for questioning, prompting objections from the American Civil Liberties Union that he had overstepped his authority.

Sheriff Jones says that he does not try to enforce federal immigration laws, but that he can apply state labor and tax laws to combat what he calls “the underground economy.”

His goal, he says, is to prevent labor exploitation.

“People that hire illegals make lots of money on other people’s backs,” Sheriff Jones said. “There isn’t much sympathy for that in this county.”
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lordy, lordy, another sheriff with ethics, and a strong will.

We need more of them, much more!!!

“People that hire illegals make lots of money on other people’s backs,” Sheriff Jones said. “There isn’t much sympathy for that in this county.”
    Another great sheriff. Well said Sheriff Jones.
    Can't imagine hearing a sheriff in Mexifornia say that unfortunately.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Newt said, if the federal government can't find illegals then send a package to all of them because ups and fedex can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    Newt said, if the federal government can't find illegals then send a package to all of them because ups and fedex can find them.
    Oh, I like that. I'm going to borrow it the next time I write my congressmen!!

lol. I've been following thsi sheriff. I love how they quote that hispanis business owner. Why do his customers stay home I wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    Lordy, lordy, another sheriff with ethics, and a strong will.

We need more of them, much more!!!
    Indeed we do, God Bless him.