Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ok: California illegal immigrant case being watched closely

California illegal immigrant case being watched closely
    Case could set precedent on in-state tuition laws
    The Oklahoman Editorial
    Published: December 28, 2008

THE future of Oklahoma’s law allowing undocumented students to attend college at in-state tuition rates may rest in unlikely hands: the California Supreme Court.

Advocates and opponents of California’s law expect to know within the next several weeks if that state’s high court will take up the issue of whether granting in-state tuition to students who aren’t legal residents violates federal law. A lower court first dismissed the 2005 lawsuit brought by a group of out-of-state students. Earlier this year, an appellate court disagreed with that decision and sent it back to the lower court.

If it takes the case, California’s top court won’t have a final say on the constitutionality of Oklahoma’s law. Decisions in other state courts aren’t binding here. But it could establish a precedent for whether in-state tuition laws throughout the country will withstand legal challenges. A defeat of the law in California would undoubtedly encourage legal action elsewhere.

In addition to Oklahoma and California, eight states have laws that grant in-state tuition to undocumented students if they meet certain requirements. Opponents of the laws have argued that undocumented students should receive that rate only if it’s available to all students — including those who traditionally must pay out-of-state rates.

Until last year, Oklahoma even allowed undocumented students access to financial aid at state expense although few participated. House Bill 1804, the state’s landmark immigration reform bill, changed that. Students already receiving state-funded scholarships and tuition waivers were grandfathered in, but the changes cut off help for future students who couldn’t prove legal residency.

That was a step backward for higher education in Oklahoma. But it was better than what happened in Arkansas, where officials disbanded the in-state rate for illegal immigrants and raised tuition even for current students. Private fundraising efforts are seeking to cushion the blow for affected students so they’ll be able to finish their educations.

Some states have gone so far as to ban undocumented students, according to stateline.org. Illegal immigrants can’t enroll at public universities in South Carolina or Alabama community colleges.

The country came to this potluck of policies regarding undocumented students in part because the federal government has been incredibly absent in reforming immigration laws. But there’s also a fair question about whether the feds have any business telling states how to go about college admissions and setting tuition rates.

Meantime, we’ll wait to see whether high courts at the state and federal levels wade into the issue and decide whether this land of opportunity will deny that hope to young people who became illegal immigrants only through the actions of their parents.

Some states have gone so far as to ban undocumented students, according to stateline.org.
    http://newsok.com/california-illegal-im ... le/3333427

Just what is so hard to understand...."1986 Immigration Nationality Act" states if a college gives in-state tuition to an illegal alien, they MUST give it to citizens from other 49 states.

Hello, just why does it take a judge or actuallly several of them to figure out the answer to this extremely simple law! Good grief talk about stupid run amuck!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Just what is so hard to understand...."1986 Immigration Nationality Act" states if a college gives in-state tuition to an illegal alien, they MUST give it to citizens from other 49 states.

Hello, just why does it take a judge or actuallly several of them to figure out the answer to this extremely simple law! Good grief talk about stupid run amuck!!
    It does not say what they want it to say, so therefore it must have some hidden meaning that is the opposite of what it appears to mean. lol
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's another stupid reason to tie something up in court so they can avoid enforcing the law.....These Judges are not upholding their oath of office and should be thrown off the bench.

This is one law that is so clear a 5 year old could understand it.

Not to mention they are breaking the states with these frivolous law suits , he sould have asked these lawyers.....JUST WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS LAW PASSED BY THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, HOUSE AND SENATE....Simple, Give in-state tuition to an illegal alien and you give it to every citizen of the United States of America, It's so simple, simple, simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut the Crap!!

Hope you had a Merry Christmas Cayla
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

It's another stupid reason to tie something up in court so they can avoid enforcing the law.....These Judges are not upholding their oath of office and should be thrown off the bench.

This is one law that is so clear a 5 year old could understand it.

Not to mention they are breaking the states with these frivolous law suits , he sould have asked these lawyers.....JUST WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS LAW PASSED BY THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, HOUSE AND SENATE....Simple, Give in-state tuition to an illegal alien and you give it to every citizen of the United States of America, It's so simple, simple, simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut the Crap!!

Hope you had a Merry Christmas Cayla
    Mine was as Merry as it could be with illegal invaders on every corner and finding out that nobody in the country has standing to defend our constitution. I guess I know how the people felt at the time and place of the first Christmas. I too am looking for someone to save us from this insanity. Unfortunately, Obama is a false Messiah. My senators are pushing for the resurrection of the DREAM act, my state is selling off it's infrastructure and I understand our constitution is on life support. I am hoping and praying that the great depression of 2009 wakes people up.

sooooo how was yours sosad?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am with you on the Great Depression!!
    Aside from all the same worries you have Cayla, I had a wonderful Christmas.... I thank the Lord for my family, I think they are what helps me keep my sanity

I am with you on the Great Depression!!
    Aside from all the same worries you have Cayla, I had a wonderful Christmas.... I thank the Lord for my family, I think they are what helps me keep my sanity
    I too thank the Lord for my health and family. Now the sanity question

Insult to injury: Many junior colleges in Texas charge citizens "out-of-county" tuition. Somewhere along the line the libs simply thumbed their collective nose at America and decided to bring it down. Because they're all wussies, this is the method they've chosen.
    '58 Airedale

It's part of an overall strategy to break down the sovereignty of the U S. If you're a citizen you actually have less rights than an illegal...according to the ruling elite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast