Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OK: Law sends ‘a loud message'

By Judy Gibbs Robinson
    Staff Writer
    Hispanic leaders vowed Tuesday to challenge the state's new immigration law in court and to punish the lawmakers who enacted it at the polls.

"We will do everything within our constitutional means to defeat the intent of this law,” Ed Romo, a vice president of the League of United Latin American Citizens, said at a hastily called news conference Tuesday night.

The bill would punish employers for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants and prevent illegal immigrants from receiving state benefits, among other measures. The signing sends a message that Hispanics are not welcome in Oklahoma, Romo said.

"This is a loud message that we're not really welcome.”

Juanita Vasquez-Sykes, president of Oklahoma City LULAC, said the league will push voter registration and encourage new Hispanic voters to remember this day.

"We will remember the people who voted for 1804 and make that show in the polls,” she said.

The bill makes it illegal to knowingly harbor or transport an illegal immigrant, which could place churches that serve the immigrant community in danger of criminal charges, said Mauro Yanez, Spanish editor for the Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City.

"I don't want to see my people afraid to go to church,” Yanez said. "As a Catholic guy, I don't want to see our priest tomorrow accused of harboring,” he said.

http://newsok.com/article/3051318
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

I'll ask again where does this bill say anything about Hispanics...illegal aliens are not welcome here but it has nothing to do with Hispanics...
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

I sent an email to the governor saying I was happy to see at least one state upholding our laws and not cowering to illegals!

Quote Originally Posted by kniggit
    I'll ask again where does this bill say anything about Hispanics...illegal aliens are not welcome here but it has nothing to do with Hispanics...
    Everything for the race for the rest of us . . . nothing.

I have come to the conclusion that these people are the most shallow racists on the planet, blinded by their own self grandization and racial prejudice. They want to punish Americans for upholding their laws, the very laws that put their sorry asses in power in our country, yet in their eyes we are a nation of bigots.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

"This is a loud message that we're not really welcome.”
    You're not, if you're illegal or support illegals. Live with it
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>