Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OK: Senate approves sweeping immigration legislation

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!

Immigration legislation that would bar illegal immigrants from jobs and public benefits was overwhelmingly approved by the Oklahoma Senate on Monday after opponents described it as a mean-spirited measure that will cost the state more than it will save.

The measure passed 41-6 after supporters said state taxpayers are clamoring for action because of the federal government's failure to act. An estimated three million illegal immigrants flow across the border into the U.S. each year, said the bill's Senate sponsor, Sen. Jim Williamson, R-Tulsa.

Sen. Todd Lamb, R-Edmond, echoed the sentiments of others during 90 minutes of debate when he said Oklahomans expect immigrants to follow the rule of law when they enter the country.

"It's not our job to sit here and let somebody else worry about it," Lamb said.

"If we only wait on the federal government, the problem will only get much worse," said Sen. Kenneth Corn, D-Poteau. "The people of Oklahoma are telling us it's time for you to act."

The measure - described as the toughest state immigration bill in the nation - now goes back to the House for consideration of Senate amendments. Its House author, Rep. Randy Terrill, R-Moore, said he plans to accept those amendments.

An earlier version of the bill passed the House in a bipartisan 88-9 vote last month.

"For all practical purposes, this bill is sitting on the governor's desk," Terrill said.

Among other things, the measure targets employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens in order to gain a competitive advantage, Terrill said. Key elements of the bill focus on determining worker eligibility, including technology called the Basic Pilot program, which screens Social Security numbers to make sure they are real and that they match up with the person's name.

"I think the vast majority of Oklahoma employers are inclined to do the right thing," Terrill said. The measure contains a list of sanctions and penalties for those that do not, he said.

The measure also contains provisions to ensure that only citizens and legal immigrants receive taxpayer-supported benefits and gives state and local law enforcement officials the power to enforce federal immigration law.

The House-passed version of the bill repealed an in-state tuition program for children of illegal immigrants attending state colleges and universities.

A Senate amendment would retain the program and allow those receiving in-state tuition to continue. New applicants would have to apply for citizenship within one year to continue receiving in-state tuition.

Opponents said the measure is a thinly veiled assault on immigrants, particularly dark-skinned immigrants from Latin America.

"This misguided approach panders to anti-immigration sentiment by appearing tough on undocumented immigrants," said Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa. She said immigrants come to the U.S. for jobs and opportunity, not to access public benefits.

"The common denominator for the focus of this bill is people of color," said Sen. Constance Johnson, D-Oklahoma City, who is black. "Regardless of ethnicity, we are still talking about people."

Sen. Harry Coates, R-Seminole, said Oklahoma's labor pool is not big enough to fill the gap that would be left if illegal immigrants were forced to return to their home countries.

Turning to Sen. Cliff Branan, R-Oklahoma City, who represents the posh Nichols Hills neighborhood north of the city, Coates said: "Your constituents over in Nichols Hills better learn to start a lawn mower if this bill passes."

Sen. John Sparks, D-Norman, said the state spends $7.5 million a year to house illegal immigrants convicted of crimes in state prisons. A study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform last year estimated that illegal immigrants cost the state $207 million a year in education, health care and prison costs.

But Sen. Jim Wilson, D-Tahlequah, said illegal immigrants pay sales taxes, property taxes and state and federal income taxes that are never refunded. Wilson estimated the state could lose $240 million in tax revenue if the bill becomes law.

"It benefits us to have these illegals here," Wilson said.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3041494
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Way to go Oklahoma!!!four cheers to you!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Ever notice, no matter what, that the Democrats always take the side of the illegal?
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

JAK

(opps ...had the wrong image...this one is much better!)
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooo glad that states are making such good decisions! It's too bad the federal government has so many bad apples working against "the people". We will prevail!

"Opponents said the measure is a thinly veiled assault on immigrants, particularly dark-skinned immigrants from Latin America.

"This misguided approach panders to anti-immigration sentiment by appearing tough on undocumented immigrants," said Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa. She said immigrants come to the U.S. for jobs and opportunity, not to access public benefits."

Wow-where to begin? I thought the legislation was designed to PROTECT legal immigrants' rights. Oh - and legal immigrants presumably never access public benefits? It's their right but she implies that doesn't happen. And jobs.... I don't know about other places, but here in San Jose I have several friends desperate for jobs and there seems to be no safety net for them either. People are shacking up on each other's couches and it's not like they don't have skills or a desire to work. I couldn't even get home from work last May 5th because the police were rerouting everyone from the Cinco de Mayo parade where I observed a sea of Mexicans flags and people shouting "Si Se Puede" all along the main street downtown. Couldn't get home for hours, and when I did I found all our local churches had been "tagged" with gang signs. I wonder if a main street in Mexico would be shut down to allow Americans to wave American flags and shout Long Live the US! Even ten years ago it looked nothing like this around here. Everything has changed so fast. Everywhere I look Hispanic women are walking around all day, each with several children. I have never been a racist, but there appears to be a great divide in cultural values and I believe the earth's resources are too valuable to keep having child after child. I only had one for that reason. I love people but somehow I am no longer a liberal - it seems that tolerance leads to disregard and abuse, not harmony and gratitude as I once thought. Then again, I had been observing legal immigrants, not illegal ones. Thanks for letting me vent. All in all, this was uplifting news and may indicate how fast the tide is turning. :P

Hi sofedup. Welcome aboard!

You barely need to explain your situation as there are many folks here that know very well, the types of challenges you and people like you face.

In fact, we have several folks here that have suffered personally from the acts of illegal too. And some of their stories are gut-wrenching and painful to hear - but should be known to all.

Please stick around and participate as much as you can. In addition, please do consider helping us by taking action via our Focus campaigns. I thank you in advance.

Here are a short list of essential readings/viewing - if you have the time and are interested - please do have a look. These are just FYI...:

Roy Beck's (NumbersUSA) Video presentation on US growth population growth, due almost entirely to immigration:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... oy+beck&hl

Teddy Roosevelt's famous 'Sole Loyalty/Assimilation of Immigrants' Speech:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/troosevelt.asp

Richard Lamm's Speech on Multiculturalism - and it's implications for
    the long-term well-being of the US (aka. "How to Destroy America" speech)
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/lamm.asp

How do Americans feel about illegal immigration? Here is one answer from
    a highly respected and non-partisan polling firm:
    www.cis.org/articles/2006/2006poll.html

Enjoy,

-PhE
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hi sofedup.

Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to jump in anytime.

As for the great news from Oklahoma..........GO SOONERS!

SOFEDUP wrote:
    [/quote]I love people but somehow I am no longer a liberal - it seems that tolerance leads to disregard and abuse, not harmony and gratitude as I once thought.

Coming from the Los Angeles area, and having lived there for over 40 years, I can well sympathize with your feelings. It's a shame we couldn't subject our liberal and elitist government officials to the same conditions we have experienced with this literal invasion of illegal immigrants. I know in my heart that no one who has not lived in an area that has been overrun with illegals can begin to understand.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Great news Oklahoma!