Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Oklahoma Immigration Law Blamed for Death

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10241693

Published Friday | January 25, 2008
    Okla. Immigration Law Blamed for Death
    By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Edgar Castorena had diarrhea for 10 days and counting, and the illegal immigrant parents of the 2-month-old didn't know what to do about it.

They were afraid they would be deported under a new Oklahoma law if they took him to a major hospital. By the time they took him to a clinic, it was too late.

A ruptured intestine that might have been treatable instead killed the U.S.-born infant, making him a poster child for opponents of House Bill 1804 months before it was enacted as the Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007.

"The sad part of it was the child didn't have to die if House Bill 1804 didn't ever come around," said Laurie Paul, who runs the clinic where Edgar was finally taken. "It was a total tragedy because the bill was there to create the myths and untruths and the fear."

The law, billed by its backers as the nation's toughest legislation against illegal immigration, took effect Nov. 1. It bars illegal immigrants from obtaining jobs or state assistance and makes it a felony to harbor or transport illegal immigrants.

A final portion of the law goes into effect July 1, requiring private companies to verify the employment eligibility of all new hires.

While it's difficult to characterize which state has the toughest immigration-related law, Oklahoma's goes beyond most because it includes the clause about harboring and transporting illegal immigrants, said Ann Morse, program director for the National Conference of State Legislatures' Immigrant Policy Project.

"What I think these laws may have are unintended consequences on the general public," Morse said recently. "How does the law get implemented? Who is the target?"

The crackdown has caused thousands of Hispanics to flee for neighboring states, with as many as 25,000 leaving northeastern Oklahoma alone, according to the Greater Tulsa Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

The law's fallout also can be seen in the struggling businesses, worker shortages and widespread fear among immigrants who say they are afraid to drive to church or the market because police might pick them up.

"I feel like I'm in some kind of Nazi country where if they see your color, you'll be stopped," said Maria Sanchez, a 22-year-old student who is looking to leave Oklahoma rather than risk waiting the seven years it will take to get her papers. "I can't work, I can't study, I can't go out, there's no point of me staying here."

Civil rights leaders call the law xenophobic and redundant, and say other states will wrongly look to Oklahoma to push their own anti-illegal immigrant legislation. Business and church leaders also have been vocal opponents.

"Oklahoma was settled by immigrants ... which means that diverse is normal in Oklahoma," said the Rev. Miguel Rivera, president of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders. "It's difficult for us to understand a state which is so Christian, that to have all this animosity toward immigrants is completely outrageous."

Supporters - described by Dan Howard, the founder of an anti-illegal immigration Web site, as "good, American, God-fearing people of the heartland that bleed red, white and blue" - say the law is necessary because of Washington's bungled immigration policy. They also believe the law has helped deter crime and punishes the companies that make money on the backs of illegal labor.

The bill's Republican author, state Rep. Randy Terrill, said similar versions have been introduced or are under consideration in more than a dozen states. Last year, more than 1,500 pieces of immigration-related legislation were introduced across the country, with 244 becoming law in 46 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

"More than half the nation will soon be modeling Oklahoma's bill," said Terrill, who plans to introduce a companion piece this year that would make English the state's official language, order schools to report how many illegal children are enrolled and require people or businesses who transport, hire or rent to illegal immigrants to forfeit property.

Terrill said there's no correlation between his bill and Edgar's death, noting that the child died in July, months before the law took effect, and that the law provides an exception for emergency medical care.

"To the extent that these illegal alien parents deprived their own child needed and necessary medical care because of their ignorance of the law, then they should be in prison, frankly," Terrill said.

Edgar's parents are believed to have gone underground following the boy's death, returning either to Mexico or going to stay with family in Arkansas, according to interviews with people in Tulsa's Latino community.

Far from the halls of the state Capitol, fear leads illegal immigrants to develop elaborate emergency plans for their children in case the youngsters should find their parents missing.

Irene Maldonado, 24, has been designated as the one to call in case her sister-in-law gets deported. Meanwhile, she worries if her husband, Jose, will come home on weekends from the construction jobs he works throughout the state.

She has legal residency, he doesn't.

"I don't know if he has less fear, or he's trying to be the macho guy," she said.

Illegal immigrant Maria Saldivar, 44, searches for what little factory work she can to support her three children. Past employers now ask for papers.

"Every time I look for a job, it's always the same thing," Saldivar said in Spanish through a translator. "There was more work for me to do before."

Even workers with proper paperwork are leaving for jobs in neighboring states rather than split up their families.

"My guy who runs my framing crew, he had 70 workers, and as of Nov. 1, he lost 35 of them," said Caleb McCaleb, who runs a homebuilding company in Edmond. "My painter has lost 30 percent of his work force, my landscaper has lost 25 percent of his work force."

Some in Terrill's own party doubt the wisdom of his legislation.

"We've removed not only those here illegally and working, but those who are here legally," said state Sen. Harry Coates, a Republican who voted against 1804 and wants to repeal portions of the bill. "I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I understand economics."

Vicente Ruiz, a 47-year-old legal immigrant who runs his own electrical contracting business, put it more bluntly: "It's all about making money, and if everybody moves away, the whole state is going to suffer."
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

negligent homicide on the parents for not taking the baby to get help

This is freaking ridiculous!
    How could they stand by and see their baby sick for 10 days and not seek help! Their selfishness is sickening! I agree the parents need to be tried to negiligent homicide..Afraid or not, the life of my child would have come first! I would rather of risked being sent back with my child than have watched him/her suffer!
    Really sad!

xyz
    Their selfishness is sickening! I agree the parents need to be tried to negiligent homicide..Afraid or not, the life of my child would have come first! I would rather of risked being sent back
    sent back HOME..not to the gallows..for Christ's sake..

"Terrill said there's no correlation between his bill and Edgar's death, noting that the child died in July, months before the law took effect, and that the law provides an exception for emergency medical care.

"To the extent that these illegal alien parents deprived their own child needed and necessary medical care because of their ignorance of the law, then they should be in prison, frankly," Terrill said."

These parents have made poor choices..endangered their own life and the life of their children
    It is like robbing a bank with your children in the car...then trying to outrun the police and blaming the law against bank robbery when the children are injured in a car wreck..
    It is negligence piled atop negligence..and the parents could have obtained care from a private doctor..if they wanted to pay like I do..or they could have stayed in their own country and received legal care there
    These parents are to blame and should be charged..with child endangerment..and deported..but then they would probably be dragging other children back over the border within days..in some of the roughest terrain guided by vicious, untrustworthy criminal coyotes to violate the laws all over again..Then complain about their self chosen "plight."

"I can't work, I can't study, I can't go out, there's no point of me staying here."
    Exactly go home to your own country and go to schoo, and work there!

"Oklahoma was settled by immigrants ... which means that diverse is normal in Oklahoma," said the Rev. Miguel Rivera, president of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders.
    Mr Rivera Oklahoma was settled by LEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

Terrill said there's no correlation between his bill and Edgar's death, noting that the child died in July, months before the law took effect, and that the law provides an exception for emergency medical care.

To the extent that these illegal alien parents deprived their own child needed and necessary medical care because of their ignorance of the law, then they should be in prison frankly," Terrill said.

I agree ...there was no reason for them not to seek treatment>>>unfortunatley I bet there will be a lawsuit in the works soon!

"My guy who runs my framing crew, he had 70 workers, and as of Nov. 1, he lost 35 of them," said Caleb McCaleb, who runs a homebuilding company in Edmond. "My painter has lost 30 percent of his work force, my landscaper has lost 25 percent of his work force."

I'm sure sir, that there are many American workers who are skilled and will fill these jobs for fair wages.. you and many like you in your industry have lived high on the hog exploiting the illegals who are working under the table for substandard wages.! Time to pay up!!!

How is that situation any different from the present case now when many Americans who are uninsured also shy away from 'seeking treatment' because they are afraid they cannot pay the bill... even IF they are lucky enough to receive treatment???
    Many of those people die too [of course, it's a little ugly secret that many politicians, hospitals, corporate types, and physicians don't advertise much]. In addition, many hospitals have been turning uninsured people away - so many never receive treatment in the first place - even IF the person needing treatment actually shows up at the hospital/doctor's door.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The sad part of it was the child didn't have to die if House Bill 1804 didn't ever come around," said Laurie Paul, who runs the clinic where Edgar was finally taken. "It was a total tragedy because the bill was there to create the myths and untruths and the fear."
    The sad part is if this childs parents weren't law breakers they wouldn't have been afraid to get help. The law didn't kill this child his parents did.

xyz
    How is that situation any different from the present case now when many Americans who are uninsured also shy away from 'seeking treatment' because they are afraid they cannot pay the bill... even IF they are lucky enough to receive treatment???
    Many of those people die too [of course, it's a little ugly secret that many politicians, hospitals, corporate types, and physicians don't advertise much].
    FROM THE BLOGS...
    Rod was in the ICU.

He had been feeling poorly for a couple of weeks.....but dealt with it in the manly tradition of all cowboys and retired ski-patrolmen. He had no health insurance, and a visit to even friendly Doc Toc would be a full day's wage....So, he took some aspirin, borrowed a couple of Norco, and drank an extra six-pack before bedtime in the bunkhouse.

Finally, his arm really hurt, and he was feeling bad, and he looked like shit, everyone said....so he took himself in to the ER.....and they immediately stuck him in ICU and started dialysis because the infection was already killing his kidneys just with the waste products that sloughed off of the battle his body was fighting with the bug.

He had never yet missed an hour of work. Even until his last day.

Some years back we had an evangelical illegal Mexican woman working for us.....and her family eventually tagged along. We liked her, and wanted to keep her and integrate her.....so we offered her health insurance. My cost was a couple of hundred bucks a month, and the policy was the Blue Cross Prudent Provider deal with a $1000 yearly deductible, with an 80/20 donut up to $30k and then everything free.

I explained everything to Josefina, and she looked at me like I had ten heads.

"You mean I would have to PAY for doctors? Why would I do that? Right now I just go to the emergency room, and everything is free.......Why would I want insurance?"

R K: mountain man, ski-instructor, actual cowboy......Aboriginal Man of the West.....is dead because his inborn pride would not let him accept something that he could not pay for with his own labor......even though it meant his life. It never occurred to him that the system might be wrong.

RK never asked for help.....beyond a jump if his battery died in his truck......Rod knew how to nurture any amount of game and farm animals.....and it never occurred to him that part of his natural birthright for being a hardworking American might be that he would have access to health care equal to that of the animals he worked with.

The cost of insurance for Rod would have been about $2500 a year, in our ****ed up system.....allowing for multi-billion dollar bonuses for the CEO's of the insuring company. This comes out to about a buck an hour....somewhere between ten and six percent of his wages.

One dollar an hour? One dollar an hour trade for Rod? Are you ****ing kidding me? I know fifty guys would pay that dollar for Rod.....but none of them have health insurance, either.

10 days? I don't by this for a second. They had...I think a woman here who either killed her child accidently or it was at the verge because she treated the child with a hispanic home remedy that was 90% lead based. You can't get it here but people are bringing alot of their home remedy stuff here and selling it in hispanic grocery stores not knowing it was mostly lead. From what I have seen these people don't really have much knowledge on illness and such. They tried to blame that raid on the sickness of the one child because the mother missed a breast feeding. When the child had been seriously ill before the raid. They had that lady here try and sue the ambulance service because they didn't speak Spanish and the kid got sicker. Didn't fly though.....she lost that case. I am positive if she would have gone to a legal citizen or even a priest in their almost 2 week stint of terror....someone would have taken that child to the hospital. It's just an excuse to cover their own butt. If she would have been a citizen waiting that long for care for an infant, there would have been HRS knocking on their door for neglect. Fear and poverty wouldn't be excuse enough to ok it.

Heck I had a close friend die at home from untreated cancer because there wasn't "emergency" care for that and she couldn't afford the regular treatment. Everyday parents and people are going without care because they risk be left homeless.....what's worse?

I hate statements of being in Natzi Germany....hey....wait till they track your every move and you can't run!!!!!! Like we all have! Wait till you can't change your name and bolt and they find you. It's not going to get better....it's getting worse. Think you're watched now? Wait till (god forbid) they give you a path to citizenship and you are watched like we are, and hold you totally accountable....like we are.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These are the kind of people Democrats and Rinos want to be in our country? Those that ignore the good of their families for their own benefit? I am appaled! If they were not breaking our laws and were in their own country where they belonged they would not have had to make such a dire choice. It is not the fault of American laws it is the fault of the greed and ignorance of those that break them!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast