One in two Mexicans has family in U.S., poll finds

REUTERS

9:56 a.m. April 30, 2007

MEXICO CITY – Almost one in two Mexicans has a family member working in the United States, and a third of those were sent money in the past year, according to a survey published in Mexican daily El Universal Monday.
The poll of 1,000 people showed 45 percent had at least one relative across the border and 61 percent rated the money they send as “very important,” illustrating Mexico's reliance on remittances.

Some 11 million Mexicans in the United States sent home a record $23 billion to their families last year – Mexico's second-biggest source of foreign currency after oil imports, even dwarfing the tourism industry.
Monday's survey showed immigration to the United States, much of it illegal, peaked during the 1990s, after Mexico was battered by an economic crisis.

Eight percent of those polled said they themselves had worked in the United States at some time.

As many as one in two people in Mexico live on less than $5 a day, and a lack of job opportunities prompts thousands to risk their lives crossing the border illegally each year.

Border arrests were down by just under a third in the first few months of this year but more than 150 immigrants have already died trying to cross over, mainly of heat exhaustion.

The United States is building a 700-mile fence along parts of its 2,000-mile border with Mexico and boosting security by adding trucks with infrared cameras, underground sensors that detect footsteps and surveillance drones.

Reader comments
By bobgraham on 04/30/2007

You know, I can't help but have empathy ( not to be confused with sympathy ) for the people of Mexico, but they MUST understand if we let our country continue on the path which it is on, there will be the same situation in the USA. Dear neighbors, go home, find and fix your problems. If your country can elevate a man to becoming the second richest in the world, in the short period it has taken, you too have opportunities in your native country where you can use your native language to fluorish. Please quit sapping the USA of it's monies and programs which have been paid for by LEGAL American citizens.
Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in this matter!

By USMEX-UNOPACT on 04/30/2007

Invisible No More: Mexican Migrant Civic Participation in the United States
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?t ... _id=150685

Work visas
Washington Times, March 4, 2007
http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20 ... -9050r.htm

At the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on comprehensive immigration reform, Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez's comment about obtaining legal status vice citizenship is a brilliant point ("Secrecy could kill immigration reform," Page 1, Thursday). The point is so insightful that it may torpedo a section of the "secret" Kennedy comprehensive immigration plan, which calls for a path to assimilate millions of illegal immigrants, based on the traditional American immigrant experience.
However, what will the Bush administration and Congress do when much of the debate has been on immigration into the United States rather than back and forth, migration patterns between the United States and Mexico/Central America? In other words, despite three years of vocal debate on illegal immigrants coming to the United States, many policy makers are still failing to realize that some illegal immigrants are actually migrants -- yes, migrants. And after they work in the United States, many migrants plan to return home.
Would a bilateral work visa program solve the amnesty vs. no amnesty deadlock?
For example, Mexico has been requesting an immigration deal with the United States for seven years. El Salvador and Romania are onboard too. The least the United States could do is grant work visas to allow workers to come here legally.
So, a big amnesty party for illegal immigrants is no solution for long standing, century old migration patterns. What some migrants are looking for is "legal status," and this can only be possible when there is an immigration pact between the United States and migrants' home countries.

By Brendancv on 04/30/2007

America is lost. I am emigrating as soon as I graduate college.

By ajent513 on 04/30/2007

Ok, here's what I think and feel.
We have been good neighbors to Mexico. Our door has been open for a long time. There are hard-life stories everywhere. The US has it's own share of citizens that struggle for food, lights, jobs, healthcare. It goes on and on. This nation cannot sustain Mexico forever. We should not feel guilty for setting limits and boundaries. Our history with Mexico is not something to be ashamed of. We have shared and shared and shared.
I ask the Mexican people who would rally against our government, and shout to the rooftops for more jobs, housing, and education than they are entitled to. If you sneak through your neighbor's back door, how long will you be welcome? I ask the Mexicans who would have so much anger and disdain for their generous neighbor to consider marching on Mexico City. Consider a rally against your Mr Fox. Start demanding equal your rights where you are more than entitled. Take back your own nation. Demand your clean water, your right health care and jobs in the place that warms your heart and feels like home.
The US struggled through it's American Revolution, Civil War, World War I, II, and continues to struggle. To give up the lives of its soldiers for the freedom to be what has made it so great. Where is this spirit in the Mexican Citizenry? I say rush home and make your own home a place you are proud to live and stop complaining about the friend who has employed you, nursed your illness, educated your children for too many generations to count.

By WizKid on 04/30/2007

"As many as one in two people in Mexico live on less than $5 a day, and a lack of job opportunities prompts thousands to risk their lives crossing the border illegally each year."

I have seen starving, halfway dead dehydrated immigrants crossing the desert looking for a better life, one too many of us take for granted. In my opinion, if they can make it here, they deserve a chance to stay. If you woke up every morning and looked five miles away at a place where you would not have to break your back every day to make a living to provide for your family, would you be willing to do it? Whatever happened to the American dream. Point to ponder, why doesn't Mexico have an olympic team? because evey one of them that can run jump or swim is already over here!

By fpurifoy on 04/30/2007

From a white 69 year old white from Louisiana. You guys crazy? Without Mexicans who will mow my yard, clean my pool, pick my vegetables, roof my house, clean my house.. Without Mexicans we would never get I-10 done here in Houston. You want the economy of Texas to collapse? Just send the Mexicans home.
You people from California can do what you wish.. just leave my Mexicans alone.

Fred P
Houston Texas

By firstsgtmike on 04/30/2007

I am a native-born US. citizen. I retired from the U.S. military after 20 years of service to my country. I married in the Philippines, and currently live in the Philippines.

My wife is unable to obtain a visa to immigrate to the US, based on our family size and my income. Ditto, my step-children.

Medicare is not available to us. My wife is precluded from receiving the Social Security benefits I paid for. I COULD return to the US with three of my five children, leaving two, and my wife behind.

When I question this, my government tells me that I chose to (legally) live in the Philippines, and I should have known about and accepted the consequences.

When an illegal alien in the US, (or a legal immigrant wanting family members to join him) raises questions, MY government jumps through hoops to enact legislation on their behalf.

What about ME, and MINE?

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

Mike,

Yes, I am also retired military, USAF. Left, taught HS for 20 years, retired from that and have Russian wife and two kids.. one 10 months old. Sent my wife to Texas A&M, she now has PhD in geophysics and very well employed. Think about educating your wife to teaching or nursing. She could find her way to USA greased I think. Good luck in your life.

Fred P

Houston, Texas

By Capt.Herp on 04/30/2007

Fred P said:

"From a white 69 year old white from Louisiana. You guys crazy? Without Mexicans who will mow my yard, clean my pool, pick my vegetables, roof my house, clean my house.. Without Mexicans we would never get I-10 done here in Houston. You want the economy of Texas to collapse? Just send the Mexicans home.
You people from California can do what you wish.. just leave my Mexicans alone."

So, Fred -- you are retired military, and that's all you care about your country? You get cheap lawn care and that's good enough to turn this country over to lawbreakers? I'm sorry, but that's pathetic. I do my own lawn, wash my own car, and clean my own house.

It's more important to get all this cheap labor as a result of paying illegals slave wages just so you can have it easier? And who cares what kind of America you leave when you go, correct? I don't see how an American can think like that, sorry.

Tony

By Capt.Herp on 04/30/2007

Upon thinking about those comments a little more, i.e. "Who will mow my lawn and clean my house?", etc -- didn't they say something like that around the time of the Civil War? You know -- "If we have no slaves, who will pick the cotton?"

If America is worth coming to, it's worth coming to LEGALLY.

Tony
Phoenix, AZ
http://www.minutemanhq.com

Capt Herp,

I don't think you are pathetic.. I just think you don't understand my point. Much of the economy of this nation is now based on the work of immigrants (illegal or otherwise.).. Mexicans, my wife, Chinese.. u name it. The very dynamics of our nation has been based on immigration. You too friend.. somewhere in your ancestors was an immigrant.

I recognize the dynamics of the economy.. perhaps you should reconsider your own views. We have enough of them now..and a barrier is both possible and desireable.. But to send them back? That is unrealistic, counterproductive and non-thinking.

FPurifoy

Houston, Texas

By AZ Marie on 04/30/2007

Well, how about this idea. Mexico should become our next state, seeing they want what we have. With this we will be able to own property in Mexico, and my, my, my, we would even have a new supply of oil, what do ya think? I say forget the middle east.

By AZ Marie on 04/30/2007

Dont give me that crap about we all came from immigrants! You are right but what part dont YOU understand? Legal or Illegal? There is a differance! I live in Phoenix. I see what it has done to our schools and to our medical system! If this isnt stopped soon I hate to see what will happen! People are getting desperate and angry and you are gonna see more and more people taking the law into their own hands. The boarders should have been secured in 1986 with the last Amnesty! We need to do it now! No More!

Wow, I think I have touched some Phoenix nerves. Last comment from me tonight. First, if you live in Phoenix you deserve a medal. Flew in the Phoenix from Colorado with family skiing in Colorado this March. Woke up that morning, 25 degrees F with deer in back yard.. Landed in Phoenix it was 95 degrees! Gee, you guys really must have to work to make a living off that place. You deserve a lot of credit for sure.

My son goes to school with all kinds of nationalities.. Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Indians.. etc. etc. Only problems are from the Katrina crowd.. I taught school for 20 years.. just teach your teachers some sensitivty to other races.. should not be a problem. As to problems with medical care.. Just be careful what you feed your kids... fat people are putting a real serious burden on our medical care facilities. Only slim people left here in Houston are the Vietnese.. Hey guys solve your problems at home.. Leave border protection to the professionals.

Mike, take care on the border and drink plenty of water.

FPurifoy

Houston Texas

sorry not Mike, that was Tony (capt herpe)

By martytime on 05/01/2007

If these folks were black would you think we'd be so open minded? We kick back any Haitain making it to our shore and have wide open borders for illegals coming from South America or Cuba. Talk about racist!! Where's Rev. Al "Not so" Sharpton when you need him?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexi ... -usa-.html