Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Opening doors to community

This story can be found at: http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet/Sa ... 7834480499

Opening doors to community
    Abriendo Puertas gives Hispanic students chance to sharpen knowledge, immerse themselves in community
    By Lauren Williamson
    Record Staff Writer
    Friday, March 3, 2006

HICKORY - Abigail Diaz runs through the doors of Centro Latino.

She throws her book bag to the ground and rushes to a young woman standing in middle of the hallway.

“Miss Marie, Miss Marie,” Diaz squeals, throwing her arms around the woman’s waist. “You look pretty today.”

Miss Marie is Marie Connelly, director of Abriendo Puertas, a mentoring and tutoring program at Centro Latino in Hickory.

Three afternoons a week, more than 100 children bustle into the building, their excitement evident by the grins on their faces and the skip in their steps.

The program is open to all Hispanic students. A grant from the N.C. Division of Social Services allows Centro Latino to offer the program free to Hispanic parents.

Connelly said most of the students have limited English skills, which hinders their ability to learn and perform well on state end-of-course exams. Students come from Longview, Maiden, Southwest, Oakwood and Webb A. Murray elementary schools.

Diaz, 9, is a fourth-grader at Longview Elementary, a school comprised mostly of minority students. She’s lived in the U.S. less than a year.

When Diaz first arrived at Centro Latino, she spoke no English. Now, she’s fluent and makes As and Bs on her report card.

“I like to come here to learn more English and get my homework done,” Diaz said, grinning. “And I like my teachers.”

She munches on a few Bugles before beginning work on a grammar worksheet.

“What’s a part of a ve, ve, ve-hicle? That’s used for stopping?” she asks her tutor. She pauses, chews her bottom lip, then responds, “Oh, it’s a brake. I knew that.”

Connelly said 90 percent of the program’s students speak some English, but have trouble with reading comprehension.

Tutors help them each afternoon with homework. After they’re done, they take part in educational activities and playtime.

Lessons are also learned about teen pregnancy, gangs, violence and how to be a good citizen. Connelly said community organizations visit regularly to talk to students and raise awareness on social issues.

Connelly said while homework is important, the relationships the children form with tutors are just as valuable.

“We’ve been blessed with four male tutors, which is awesome,” she said. “Many of these kids need a strong male mentor. The tutors know their school needs and what’s going on at home, so they can help them with the problems they face culturally adapting.”

DETAILS:

Abriendo Puertas isn’t just for the children. Programs are also offered to parents in an effort to help them assimilate into the community.For more information about the program, or to make a donation or learn more about how you can volunteer, call Marie Connelly at 441-2493.

How hard do you believe it is for immigrant children to transition into our schools?

E-mail Lauren Williamson at lwilliamson@hickoryrecord.com. Please include your name, address and telephone number.

lwilliamson@hickoryrecord.com | 322-4510 x5408 or 304-6915
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I'm gonna send them my feedback on this story, telling them how it's the parents who choose not to assimilate into our society
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"