http://link.toolbot.com/baxterbulletin.com/56203

Online Poll: Let local governments enact immigration rules

People responding to the latest Baxter Bulletin Online Poll say somebody needs to do something about illegal immigration, and if the federal government doesn't do its job, then local governments should take care of it.

Around the country, several municipalities and counties have adopted ordinances prohibiting landlords from renting to illegal aliens and barring businesses that hire illegal immigrants from receiving local government contracts. Some are being challenged in federal court.

A total of 753 votes were cast in response to the Online Poll question: Should local governments be able to enact their own regulations to control illegal immigration in their communities?

Of those, an overwhelming 85.3 percent said yes, local governments should be able to enact their own regulations. Only 14.7 percent disagreed.

Here are some of the comments from those taking part in the Online Poll.

"As Americans from every community in this nation, we must stop illegal alien migration with whatever tools afforded us. We must stop the massive flow, now at 20 million and expected to double within a decade or two. Mexico laughs at us while it drains us of $20 billion annually. It laughs as we pay for its baby births, education of its children, room and board for its criminals and breakdown of our medical, educational systems and language. It laughs as it steals our jobs and degrades wages for Americans from the poor to the middle class. This is a modern day invasion. We either stop it, or it will destroy the viability and community of the United States. Additionally, current immigration growth rates add 100 million people to this country by 2040. That's 33 years folks."

"The reality of the situation is that there are over 900,000 local and state law enforcement officers in the United States. There are only 5,000 INA internal immigration enforcement officers. Unless local law enforcement is active in immigration enforcement, which they are legally enabled to do, we don't have a prayer of ever controlling this problem."

"Problem will be, how do you prove you are not an illegal alien? We have no national ID system. I have friends who are here illegally that have a drivers license and through that were able to register to vote. And those illegals have voted. And they have lived right here in Mountain Home."

"Bush and his partners in amnesty are determined to get as many of these illegals here as they possibly can, and they will not be deterred. It's a done deal. Sad but true."

"If the federal government is not fast enough to enact laws regarding the control and enforcement of our present immigration laws, then I am for the local and state government to be able to enact laws on immigration affecting them. ... It is at the work place, government offices and banks where it is possible to identify who is the illegal immigrant. ... I do not have much medical, dental and vision coverage. I pay a certain amount to see a doctor and pay an amount for prescription, vision and dental coverage, while the illegal immigrant gets all these free."

"Each citizen has to get into the act for proper control. If we 'cheat' on who we hire, the problem is escalated. The blame falls on each and every one of us, but I feel the business world and our own governments should absorb most of the blame."

"Someone needs to enforce it. There is no more Department of Immigration, and the federal government has never done the job right."

"Forty-seven percent of all Americans think that immigration is a serious problem. The other 53 percent said, 'No hablo inglés'."

Yes, I am in favor of local laws for illegal immigration. Our federal government has dropped the ball, and that neglect is costing the good ole American taxpayers a fortune. There is a big problem when our U.S. government provides benefits to illegals and deny them to those who have paid taxes to support our government for all these years."

"I understand the trepidation of those who want illegal aliens controlled locally. And, if properly applied, I'll back every one of them. But, how do you tell who is illegal or, for that matter, alien? If I were stopped and asked to prove I was born in the U.S., I am not sure I could. If my name was Garcia, and I looked like I might be Mexican, could I prove without being arrested that I was born in the U.S.? There has to be a way we can do that in the future, perhaps national IDs, or a chip implant at birth. Damn, that sounds almost Nazi doesn't it?"

"As it appears that our federal lawmakers are becoming increasingly more in the pockets of big money and refusing to listen to their constituents, they leave little choice but for the public to take action. The American public and majority are being placed in a condition of a voiceless state. Speak up Americans, while you still can."

"Congress (politicians) will not address the immigration problems as they are afraid of losing votes. Therefore, the local governments need to make ordinances to protect their cities from becoming a disaster like there is in California. We just moved from there, and my hometown is now over 70 percent immigrants, and that is not counting the illegal ones. The local government is afraid to do anything as they will be called racists. The crime is out of control, and the city and county are broke from providing free services. The employers get cheap labor, and they live in luxury homes away from the city and crime. It is out of control."
Thanks to everyone who participated in The Bulletin's Online Poll. We encourage readers to take part and express themselves on the issues raised in the polls. If you'd like to submit a letter to the editor expressing your opinions on these issues (or others), feel free to do so.

You also are encouraged to take part in the StoryChat forums at our online edition, www.baxterbulletin.com. You can discuss the stories, editorials and other subjects and take part in community-wide conversations.