Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Opposition to U.S. immigration bill intensifies

By Donna Smith
    57 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Opposition to a compromise immigration overhaul grew on Monday, with labor unions and Hispanic groups saying the deal brokered by leading U.S. senators and the White House was bad for workers, families and employers.

The League of United Latin American Citizens, one of the country's oldest and largest Hispanic groups, said it opposed the plan's limits on family-based immigration. A labor union and another Hispanic group said they would work to change the proposed law as it moves through Congress.

The opposition emerged as the Senate began debating the compromise plan, brokered in closed-door talks between White House officials and about a dozen Republican and Democratic senators.

President George W. Bush, said in an interview with Reuters he would ask that opponents actually read the bill before offering opinions on its content.

"There's no question this is an emotional debate. But people have to realize that in order to have border security, you must have a comprehensive approach to immigration reform," Bush said.

He said the compromise "was a very serious effort to bridge a wide gulf that had existed in the Senate."

The measure would combine tough new border security and workplace enforcement measures with a temporary worker program and a plan to legalize an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the country before January 2007.

In addition to limits on family-based immigration, the citizens league said it also opposed the temporary worker program because it would require laborers to return home for a year after each two-year work period. Temporary workers would be allowed a total of three two-year visas.

"This bill will dehumanize workers, short-change employers and lead to widespread undocumented immigration as many workers inevitably overstay their visas rather than return home," the group's president, Rosa Rosales, said in a statement.

The AFL-CIO plans a news conference on Tuesday with civil rights and Hispanic groups to outline their concerns about the guest worker program, new limits on family-based immigration and a proposed new merit-based system for future immigrants.

REDUCING TEMPORARY WORKERS

The Service Employees International Union plans to join that news conference, but officials said they hoped to work with lawmakers to change the bill as it moves through the Senate and eventually the House of Representatives.

Eliseo Medina, executive vice president of the SEIU, said requiring immigrants to return home to apply for permanent residence was unworkable. The union, which has about 1.8 million members, also wants more labor protections for guest workers and a path to citizenship.

"We are going to be evaluating every step of the way and at some point we will see what the final package looks like," he said in an interview.

National Council of La Raza Vice President Cecilia Munoz said her group would try to reshape the bill. "It is important that we get a good bill over the finish line," she said.

Dozens of amendments are expected and it is unclear whether the compromise will remain intact as it works its way through the Senate.

One of the first amendments will be aimed at reducing the number of visas available for temporary workers each year from 400,000 to 200,000. The amendment is being offered by Sen. Jeff Bingaman (news, bio, voting record), a New Mexico Democrat.

The bill also faces stiff opposition from conservative Republicans who see it as an amnesty that rewards illegal immigrants who broke U.S. laws.

"This bill is compromising to the country's economy, national security and very foundation of a democracy rooted in the rule of law," said Sen. Jim Bunning (news, bio, voting record), a Kentucky Republican.

"Each low-skilled immigrant household that gets amnesty costs the American taxpayers nearly $20,000 each year if we consider only the illegal aliens given amnesty," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070522/pl_ ... ongress_dc
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

F@*K The League of United Latin American Citizens, when are these guys going to understand that they are not in charge here? I'm so sick of pro-Illegal groups thinking that their crappy little fly speck of an opinion actually matters. La Raza and all you other supporters of criminal behavior shut up!!!
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

"The League of United Latin American Citizens, one of the country's oldest and largest Hispanic groups, said it opposed the plan's limits on family-based immigration. A labor union and another Hispanic group said they would work to change the proposed law as it moves through Congress"

Forgive my ignorance but isn't it racist and should't it be unlawful for a group made up of 1 nationality, pushing for the rights and concerns of only that 1 nationality at the government level as to effect change in laws that effect everybody??? Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid278
    "The League of United Latin American Citizens, one of the country's oldest and largest Hispanic groups, said it opposed the plan's limits on family-based immigration. A labor union and another Hispanic group said they would work to change the proposed law as it moves through Congress"

Forgive my ignorance but isn't it racist and should't it be unlawful for a group made up of 1 nationality, pushing for the rights and concerns of only that 1 nationality at the government level as to effect change in laws that effect everybody??? Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle but it just doesn't seem right to me.
    Hi there Katydid.

2 points -

1. Whether the org. is LULAC, MALDEF, LaRaza ("The Race"), etc. -
    one could say conservatively, that these essentially represent ethnic groups. It probably is not safe to equivocate an ethnic group with a racial group (presuming, of course, all the baggage packaged in and around a term like 'race'). After all, what does a typical Mexican look like? I can think of several high profile citizens of Mexico, and they (unsurprisingly) vary in appearance, manner of speaking, dress, location, etc.,

Either way, I fall into the philosophical camp which looks at hyphenated Americanism with great distrust. One of the defining traits of this country, is that people [citizens] here are first and singly American, and all other things secondly. (FYI...Teddy Roosevelt has a great quote on hyphenated Americanism for those that wish to chase it down).

2. The complaints by LaRaza, LULAC, MALDEF, even labor unions, Catholic Church, - any of the opposition are not on their face, a bad thing.
    Any fracturing of the opposition is area where we can leverage pressure to keep a bad bill from becoming law. At the same time, that gives more time to do the 'e-word': enforcement!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What's so insane is the way the whole thing is framed. The people who we elected and who are supposed to be representing us are acting like they were elected by and represent illegal aliens!!

The whole mindset Congress has is like we owe the illegals something for them being here illegally. It's so upside down and inside out it makes my head spin! I feel like I woke up in some weird alternate universe where logic doesn't apply. Either that or I'm having a nightmare that I hope I wake up from soon!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I see what you're saying Phred...but don't you agree it's wrong for our Govt. to give special interest groups a voice in their lawmaking decisions or has this always been going on?

Patbrunz, are you related to a Terry?

Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    What's so insane is the way the whole thing is framed. The people who we elected and who are supposed to be representing us are acting like they were elected by and represent illegal aliens!!

The whole mindset Congress has is like we owe the illegals something for them being here illegally. It's so upside down and inside out it makes my head spin! I feel like I woke up in some weird alternate universe where logic doesn't apply. Either that or I'm having a nightmare that I hope I wake up from soon!
    Well said pat!
    Then there's the Justice Dept that ties the hands of our border patrol and jails them.

And the ACLU that represents illegals more than citizens.

And I'm sure there's other upside down insanity I failed to mention.

We're living in the Twilight Zone!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn