Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ORE:Catholic Charities Anticipates Funding Cuts in Recession

Catholic Sentinel
    May 11, 2009

Print Edition: 03/12/2009

Catholic Charities anticipates funding cuts as U.S. recession grows

In an economic recession, when a business is losing money, it’s usually because there are fewer customers.

For Catholic Charities, the social service wing of the Archdiocese of Portland, it’s a matter of less cash flow and more people to serve.

Reduction in public money has already been felt in the current Catholic Charities budget and more cuts are expected when counties decide on funding in June. In Oregon, most public social service funds are distributed by counties.

In Oregon, Catholic Charities provides low-cost housing, disaster relief, aid for pregnant girls and women, adoption services, SUPPORT FOR IMMIGRANTS, RESETTLEMENT FOR REFUGEES AND AID TO HUMAN TRAFFICKING.

“We are anticipating that there are going to be some reductions,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Those interested can read this somewhat lengthy article:
    "How Catholic Charities Lost Its Soul"
    By Brian C. Anderson
    CITY Journal
    Winter 2000
    http://www.city-journal.org/html/10_1_h ... ities.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

I don't knowingly support any group that helps illegals.

It galls me to think that my hard earmed donation money helps illegals, especially when the American people are hurting so much.

I wanted to donate food from my garden to a local food bank until I saw a that the majority of people being helped at the center were obviously illegals. Instead of helping feed illegals, I plan on sharing with people that I personally know in our community that are hurting.

It galls me to think that my hard earmed donation money helps illegals, especially when the American people are hurting so much.

I wanted to donate food from my garden to a local food bank until I saw a that the majority of people being helped at the center were obviously illegals. Instead of helping feed illegals, I plan on sharing with people that I personally know in our community that are hurting.
    Exactly, and in many cases, it's not because they NEED it, it's because it's free. I know when my hips were broken (once I was at walker status), I went to Catholic charities for help with food. I waited, filled out papers, and saw people going out with boxes of food. Frozen chickens and hams and bread and canned goods etc. All geared to Mexican tastes. They gave me 1 small bag of dried black beans. Beggars can't be choosers, but it was clear they were there to help just certain people and not others. Yet when I lived in Nebraska, the gas station/restaurant/quick mart, I worked at, closed down and without asking for a thing, I had 3 women bring boxes of food to us....and somewhere down the line, secretly paid my water bill, without asking for a thing. Guess it depends on where you live as to how they help. I will never forget that....it was a good months worth of food and it was so needed and so appreciated.