Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Oregon: Governor shifts stance on aiding immigrants

http://www.oregonlive.com

Governor shifts stance on aiding immigrants
    Reversal - Kulongoski orders agencies away from information sessions on state services

Saturday, March 11, 2006
    MICHELLE COLE
    The Oregonian
    SALEM -- At a time when immigration is a sizzling political issue, Gov. Ted Kulongoski has ordered state agencies not to participate in the Mexican Consulate's information events.

Kulongoski says he made the decision because the events are not open to all. But the reversal of his previous support for the consulate's gatherings is causing critics to accuse the governor of a politically motivated flip-flop.

The well-attended events, held around the state over the past several years, have drawn increasing protests from those who say the state should not help illegal immigrants obtain government services. Last year, the protests and growing crowds prompted consulate officials to boost security and require appointments for the events.

The Mexican Consulate will hold more than a dozen Carousel of Information events in Oregon this year to issue "matricula consular" identification cards to Mexican nationals. The consulate does not ask people whether they are U.S. citizens or legal residents of the United States when issuing the cards.

Oregon state agencies started sending representatives to the events in 2000. The state's purpose was to distribute information in Spanish and English about social services, employment, taxes, worker safety and consumer fraud.

Kulongoski and his staff had vigorously defended participation, saying that agencies are not providing benefits to people who do not qualify. In a Jan. 31 statement, the governor said the events are a good way to reach "a growing, underserved and vulnerable population."

"I intend to continue with such efforts because I believe it is the right thing to do for all Oregonians," he wrote.

But on Friday, the governor's office informed agency directors that the state will discontinue its participation because the events are no longer open to everyone.

State Rep. Kim Thatcher, R-Keizer, said the governor's policy appears to be a sudden change in position that may be politically motivated.

Democrat Kulongoski is seeking re-election in November, and illegal immigration has already emerged as an issue in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Several lawmakers, including Thatcher, have also questioned the state's participation in the Carousel events.

"We've been complaining to the governor and to the agencies for quite a while," she said. "I guess I'm glad he's doing that step. But it seems like he'd want to work with the Legislature to look into how many are being served who are here illegally."

Kulongoski's spokeswoman, Anna Richter Taylor, said the governor has not changed his position and his decision was not politically motivated. "He still feels it's important and an obligation to ensure that all who are eligible for public services have the information they need."

But Richter Taylor said the more the state learned about limited public access at the consulate gatherings, the harder it was to justify participation. Instead, the state will seek other venues to distribute information, she said.

Not everyone agrees with the decision.

Labor Commissioner Dan Gardner says the Bureau of Labor and Industries will send a representative to today's Carousel in Medford. The bureau falls under Gardner's authority as an elected state official and not under the governor's office.

Gardner said it is not his agency's job to assess someone's immigration status.

"Our job is to help employees and make sure they know what their rights are under the law and be sure they're not being taken advantage of," he said.

The Department of Justice will also send a representative and distribute information about consumer fraud if it is invited to future Carousel events, said Kevin Neely, a spokesman for Attorney General Hardy Myers. "The attorney general believes the department's consumer protection efforts are effective in any forum that would reach consumers that may be victimized."

The secretary of state will also continue to distribute its guide to starting a business in Oregon through the consulate, a spokeswoman said Friday.

The governor informed the Mexican Consulate of his decision in a letter earlier this week.

"I'm disappointed, of course. But of course we are respectful," Oregon Consul General Fernando Sanchez Ugarte said in an interview Friday. "Since immigration is a hot issue and being discussed by candidates for governor in our state, it has also come to affect our work."

Michelle Cole: 503-294-5143; michellecole@news.oregonian.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Wow, I was completely shocked when I read this. Our Governor, Sleepy Ted, must have come out of his slumber! Now if he and the dmv would only stop letting illegals obtain driver's licenses. It is a good day, indeed!

YAHOO !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gardner said it is not his agency's job to assess someone's immigration status.
    While I applaud the governers about-face on the issue I also suspect it's politically motivated.

The other interesting thing is that while it's every American taxpayers 'job' to provide these benefits that are being applied for, it's NOBODY'S JOB to find out to whom these benefits are going.

GRRRRRR

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Kulongoski says he made the decision because the events are not open to all. But the reversal of his previous support for the consulate's gatherings is causing critics to accuse the governor of a politically motivated flip-flop.
    Gee, I wonder what would make anyone think that? You just know that all these governors who have walked around in blinders that filtered out this situation for all these years wouldn't change their minds because the voters are angry. Would they?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)