Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Our view: Immigrants deserve chance for education

This below article came from our local newspaper today, it's disgusting.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbc ... 14/OPINION

Our view: Immigrants deserve chance for education

Just say the word "immigrant" and it causes a stir. Attach it to the idea of giving an immigrant an economic benefit and the naysayers come out of the woodwork.

We support the legislature's efforts to allow undocumented immigrants living in Connecticut to attend state universities and colleges at the in-state tuition rate. Here's why:

ADVERTISEMENT

The tuition rate is not a free ride. It would be available to only those immigrants who have graduated high school in Connecticut, and who attended high school in the state for at least two years.

To be eligible for the in-state tuition rate, students must sign an affidavit that says they have applied for legal status or will as soon as they are eligible.

Tuition at the University of Connecticut is a whopping $21,562 for out-of-state students. Tuition for in-state students is $8,362. The tuition at other public colleges and universities in the state is about $14,000 a year for out-of-state students vs. $6,000 a year for in-state students.

None of these students are eligible for state or federal financial aid.

The process of becoming a naturalized citizen takes about five years.
    We support the bill for other reasons, as well.

Most who will use the bill are barely 18 and arrived in this country because of their parents' goal of starting a new life. What kind of life are we subjecting them to if we don't give them a fair chance at higher education?

Since there have been European settlers in Eastern Connecticut, waves of immigrants have built the economy. Immigrants fueled the economy by providing the labor needed in the mills and factories that once dotted the landscape.

It is the latest wave of immigrants -- including the Chinese, Haitian, Indian and Mexican immigrants -- that is helping to revitalize the region's economy once again. The bill needs 10 votes out of the 19 members to get out of the Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee and get to the floor of the legislature. We hope the committee members can do what's right, despite public pressure to kill the bill.

If the state does not act swiftly, nearly 85,000 of the state's residents may never have a chance to better their lives through higher education. The biggest loser will be Connecticut. The state could be saddled with a growing, yet uneducated workforce. That hurts all of us.

* I helped you out! Dixie

Once more the pro-illegal group is heard from. What a waste of paper.

Whew!!!!!! Look at the comments! Y'all can go leave one.

The Norwich Bulletin has charged that people are cruel and anti-immigration. The Norwich Bulletin doesn't have a clue of what they are talking about. As a product of a LEGAL Immigrant family, I was highly respectful of my parents efforts to gain citizenship. . . going to night school, bringing home notes about the history of our country, presidents, state capitols. Both of my parents worked to get their papers and become citizens and were extremely proud and fulfilled when it happen and they passed their tests.

The Bulletin is the one that is wrong. Giving something to people without them working towards their goal is un-American and should be denouced.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:57 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberals typically spend our money without regard for those paying said taxes.

If you want to pay for illegal criminals who break into our country, send a check to that family. Don't ask me to subsidize illegal criminal education. To heck with fair!

How in the hell can I prepare CT residents for what is to come? Again, I'm from Southern California. I've seen how bad it gets.

Do you know that illegal aliens CAN collect food stamps and other welfare benefits?

Well, if I can't beat'em, perhaps I should join them. I speak fluent spanish...I'll import ten families, put them on the public dole (collecting CT taxpayer monies), put them men to work in skilled construction trades and undercut the entire CT construction market. Is that fair? They'll be quick to come to CT because their kids even get subsidized food at school, good bilingual education on the backs of the taxpayers, and ultimately subsidized college!

When we have a 50% tax rate, and a 30% unemployment rate, people will take out their frustration on said immigrants....just watch.

Its easy to talk about giving away other people's money...

At least you show your colors Bulletin ED.

E

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:40 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree with previous opinions here. This whole politically correct usage of undocumented worker or whatever they prefer to be called is ridiculous. Illegal is Illegal. I'm sure murderers don't like being called just that, perhaps we should call them something a little less harsh. I will continue to call Illegal Aliens just that. If they don't like it then get legal. They can call me a Legal Citizen and I'll cherish the term. Call me politically incorrect I don't care. I'm here legally. I pay taxes. In fact I'm paying the tax money they're using to send their kids to school, the tax monies they are using when they apply for public assistance the tax monies they are given when they can't afford rent....etc. I think I've given enough. If they are not here legally (i.e. ILLEGAL ALIENS) they are out of state....end of argument.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 am

Yet again more proof teh leftwing liberal media is out of touch with mainstream America! (and proof that its dominated by leftists extremeists)

For the bleeding heart liberals i have a couple questions for you.
    If you or I went into say mexico illegally or as an "undocumented worker" what would happen to us? We would be put in jail no rights no free health care no free education for your family and if you had children in the country they would not become citizens.

Yes things are bad there but they have to help themselves the US can not support the whole world

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:09 am

I, too, am sympathetic to the plight of children brought into a nation illegally. I cannot imagine that subsidising their educations on the taxpayers tab is the answer, though. Illegal means exactly that. Our economy needs to be driven by the market as it exists for legal occupants of this state and country. Surely, we appreciate the contributions of anyone to our nation's prosperity. To allow them to do so illegally is just bad policy. Let us focus on getting jobs to American citizens and educations to state residents who work very hard (and file immense amounts of paperwork) to fill the positions they fill.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:51 am
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    I think they need to become proficient in K-12 English, math, and American history before there is any discussion about higher education.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockedinCalifornia
    I think they need to become proficient in K-12 English, math, and American history before there is any discussion about higher education.
    Exactly. But we, the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for that either.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockedinCalifornia
    K12 for them is higher education
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The state could be saddled with a growing, yet uneducated workforce.
    Isn't that what supports the economy?? Aren't these millions of uneducated illegal aliens the backbone of the economy? You keep yelling we need MORE of them. What's with all this education stuff??

Sadly, most of the nation is already saddled with a non-English speaking uneducated workforce. Most of the "anchors" aspire to be immigration lawyers or activists....just what we need!

www.standard.net local Ogden, Utah paper. Today they ran a article on graffiti at a local elementary school. They indicated in the Ogden school district with 12,400 students, that 54.15% were hispanic and the rest were caucasian and other.
    On the "B" section of this paper "Utah students falling behind on reading tests" Could in possibly be because over 50% do not have english spoken as the primary language in the home? What do they expect these poor teachers to do when they have to many students in class and no one at home to help with home work? My mother is german born. My father taught her english. Thank heavens we spoke english in the house. But she was no help with homework! Can we not see the parallel!!! I wish these liberal papers would just state the truth.