Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Outsmarting SUV thieves (stolen from mall, taken to Mexico)

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ho ... 580377.php

Thursday, February 15, 2007
    Outsmarting SUV thieves
    Sheriff's patrols stem tide of stolen vehicles from The Shops at Mission Viejo.
    By ERIKA I. RITCHIE
    The Orange County Register
    MISSION VIEJO – Just to be safe, Ross Aimer bought his wife a Volkswagen wagon.

"We're hoping this car isn't attractive to thieves," said Aimer, 62, whose 2007 Chevrolet Silverado was stolen from The Shops at Mission Viejo in November. "We got it because it wouldn't be in demand."

Since January, after a six-month wave of car thefts, the Orange County Sheriff's Department has increased its presence at The Shops of Mission Viejo. One car has been stolen from the mall since then.

Deputies patrol the center and parking structure daily. The department is also in discussions with the mall to pay for future expenses to keep deputies in place.

"We're being as visible as possible and looking for suspicious people," said Lt. Steve Bernardi, chief of police services for Mission Viejo. "We're going to try and outlast them and hope they stop."

Investigators have some leads, but no arrests have been made. Undercover investigators from the sheriff's regional traffic bureau and county Auto Theft Taskforce have spent almost 100 hours on surveillance. Patrol and motor deputies have spent several hundred hours at the mall, too.

Since May, almost 30 SUVs have been stolen from the mall. The SUVs – 2004 to 2006 domestic models ranging in value from $30,000 to more than $60,000 – were locked. Since January, police have gotten two reports of stolen cars. One case was resolved when the man realized he had parked in a different spot. The other car – a 2000 Honda Civic from an outside lot – appeared not to be linked to the car theft ring.

"It's gotten below the normal theft rate – one car since Dec. 17," said Sgt. Fred Furey, who heads the sheriff's regional traffic bureau. "That's pretty good."

Aimer, a retired pilot from San Clemente, said his truck had just 5,000 miles on it. His wife, who works at the mall, discovered it missing when she left her shift at 10 p.m.

"Mall management insists that employees park on the fifth floor of the parking structure," he said. "This creates a smorgasbord for clever car thieves. They know employees don't return to their cars till the end of the night."

A border camera snapped a photo of his truck's plate as it crossed into Mexico at 8 p.m. that night. The truck was never recovered. Aimer's insurance company has settled.

Aimer, mall employees and patrons say they feel a little safer because of the police patrols but say the mall's management could do more.

Tiara Duff, 31, of Irvine works at the mall and sometimes drove her husband's Jeep Commander. When a co-worker lost her Cadillac Escalade to thieves during the holidays, she stopped.

"I won't park in back corners" she said. "I would feel safer with security cameras not only to prevent stolen cars but for customer and employee safety."

Contact the writer: 949-454-7307 or eritchie@ocregister.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

More documentation on this trend: http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=118058

Stolen Trucks End Up in Mexico

In South Florida alone, thieves stole more than 600 Ford F-Series pickup trucks last year (like the F-150 I drive!). One attraction is the old-fashioned keys that make the trucks easier to steal. WTVJ-TV in Miami tracked pickup trucks stolen in Florida all the way to Mexico.

In fact, states all along the southern border are recording high rates of pickup-truck thefts. Six out of 10 vehicles stolen in Texas last year were pickups or SUVs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

More family values that bUsH finds so desireable

Criminal aliens are allowed to do anything while the federal court and judges do anything they want. America is being driven down by criminal aliens.

Betsy Ross: You are correct about the situation in Florida. This also happens to occur in the areas with the most Hispanics. I hear BOLOs (be on the lookout) for them often.
    Another frightening fact in South Florida is that not only vehicle thefts but strong armed robberies are being done by Hispanics. In my area it has increased big time.

We have increasing auto theft here, and I see 'new arrivals' - they always seem to have big trucks. I can't afford what they drive.

I remember a few years back a guy in San Diego county had his new truck stolen, Police activated the lojac system on it and it showed the vehicle to be in Tijuana. A couple of off duty cops went down there to find it hoping to get some leads as to who was stealing these vehicles, they found this guys truck, it was parked in the driveway of Tijuanas chief of police.