Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

PA: Landscape bus. evade laws easily......

Courier Times

By JO CIAVAGLIA
    Bucks County Courier Times

Landscapers are among a handful of businesses that can be difficult to track down, according to Bucks County's Consumer Protection Department director.

Many times they operate using a cell phone and post office box, but no physical business address, Michael Bannon said. Company owners may not pick up mail or return phone calls.

“It's definitely an issue people should be aware of,â€

I think this is necessary (except for the stupid fee ... why is there always an exorbitant fee??) however, my brother does landscaping on the side in the summer near this area. He is not "licensed" or "registered" but he also does all the work himself with no employees, or a few of his friends (Americans - not illegal aliens) will help him out with the bigger projects.
    My brother writes his own contracts, and he usually only takes clients that have been referred by friends, family, or former clients. It's guys like this who will suffer under the new laws.

It sucks that it's come down to stuff like this to protect our country. My brother will pay the fees and register his side 'business' but the ones who hire illegal aliens won't bother to follow this law, much like all the other laws, and clients won't bother to check if a company is registered.

The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

It won't matter for much longer as more people will no longer be able to afford landscapers. Food, shelter, clothing. medicine et al., will have higher priority than paying someone to cut our grass. In winter, I pay the local neighborhood kids to shovel snow. Keeps them out of trouble and some spending money.

Seaturtle, you are partially right. I'm one of the ones who does check and I only hire by referrals. I also ask legal status of employees. I then speak to the employees when they show up. If the employer lied, he is fired and reported. I also notify the IRS and ICE.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    It won't matter for much longer as more people will no longer be able to afford landscapers. Food, shelter, clothing. medicine et al., will have higher priority than paying someone to cut our grass. In winter, I pay the local neighborhood kids to shovel snow. Keeps them out of trouble and some spending money.

Seaturtle, you are partially right. I'm one of the ones who does check and I only hire by referrals. I also ask legal status of employees. I then speak to the employees when they show up. If the employer lied, he is fired and reported. I also notify the IRS and ICE.
    That's great miguelina!! I wish there were more like you! I don't use contractors for anything, but my landlord does, and I ALWAYS talk to the people he has doing work on the property here to see if they understand English at all. So far, so good.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008