Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

PA Lawmaker to Propose Immigration Law

By Bob Reynolds

5:23 PM EDT, April 30, 2010
    PA Lawmaker to Propose Immigration Law
    A controversial immigration law in Arizona may be coming to Pennsylvania.

Newswatch 16 has learned a version of it will unveiled by a state lawmaker next week.

"I believe alone we can only do so much but together we can do more," said Penn State student Terry Robinson.

Students gathered Friday at the Schuylkill campus of Penn State University near Schuylkill Haven. It was billed as a stand against racism. It's goal was to eliminate racism by raising awareness.

It is happening as some people say a new immigration law in Arizona is racist. It encourages police officers to ask people if they are legally in America.

That can only happen when police have probable cause, for example at a traffic stop.

A lawmaker plans to unveil his version of that law for Pennsylvania next week.

At Penn State's anti-racism event reaction was mixed.

"If there is probable cause and that's what the legislation says then I am in favor of it. They might harass some people, other than that I think it's good legislation," said Ileana Mendez of Philadelphia.

"I am opposed to it because I think it's singling somebody out and I don't feel that's necessary," said Marisa Berg of Coal Township.

Amilcar Arroyo is a Hispanic community leader. "The way to fix the problem is to wait for the federal government, President Obama and the Congress to change and make reform in the immigration law," Arroyo said.

Critics said the reason states are acting is because the federal government is not dealing with illegal immigrants getting into our country.

It's unclear if the immigration bill will have the support of the Senate and the House and of course if it does it still has to be signed by the governor.

http://www.wnep.com/news/countybycounty ... 0727.story

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also got an email from Rep. Metcalfe : :

News Advisory

Office of State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe

April 30, 2010 FOR INFORMATION: Ty McCauslin (717) 772-9979

Metcalfe to Roll Out Arizona-Style Measure Providing for Apprehension of Illegal Aliens

WHAT: With no less than $728 million in annual state taxpayer costs resulting from Pennsylvania’s estimated and growing 140,000 illegal alien population, Representative Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler) will introduce the newest and toughest addition to the National Security Begins at Home legislative package.

Metcalfe’s Arizona-modeled legislation would provide Pennsylvania law enforcement with full authority to apprehend illegal aliens and several other sweeping reform measures.

WHO: Offering support for this legislation will be Dan Stein, president, Federation for

American Immigration Reform (F.A.I.R); Kathleen Appell, media coordinator, Citizens for Immigration Control in Pennsylvania; Mariann Davies Esq., You Don’t Speak for Me; Jeff Lewis, national director, Federal Immigration Reform and Enforcement Coalition (FIRE); and Ned Pfeifer, president, Eagle Forum.

State lawmakers in attendance will include: Reps. Tom Creighton (R-Lancaster), John Galloway (D-Bucks), Scott Perry (R-Cumberland/York) and Harry Readshaw (D-Allegheny).

DATE: Tuesday, May 4

TIME: 10 a.m.

WHERE: Capitol Media Center

LIVE WEB CAST: Log on to RepMetcalfe.com, beginning at 9:55 a.m. on Tuesday morning.

Another Domino Falls!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)