Man who assaulted teen sentenced up to a decade in prison

3:06 PM EDT, May 22, 2009

A man who had sex with a 13-year-old Easton girl on three occasions was sentenced Friday to up to a decade in prison by a judge who rebuked his defense attorney for insensitivity.

Humberto A. Lima, 28, of Bethlehem admitted to statutory sexual assault and indecent assault against the girl, who reported to police that she had been abused by him in June and July 2004 while her mother was at work.

In defending his client, attorney Nicholas Zanakos said the girl has since had a child by another man, something he suggested showed she was not traumatized by what Lima did.

"Don't go there, Mr. Zanakos," said Northampton County Judge Stephen Baratta. "That's wholly inappropriate and I'm not going to accept that at all."

Baratta added: "I think it's evidence that he really screwed her up."

The 20-to-120-month sentence Baratta handed down exceeded standard guidelines. Baratta said it was appropriate given the girl's young age, the multiple instances, and Lima's downplaying of the crime.

Lima apologized in court and asked for forgiveness.

"I did what I did, but I did not take her by force," Lima said.

In explaining his own comments, Zanakos said as a defense attorney he must advocate for his client as best as he can.

Assistant District Attorney Vivian Zumas said the girl wasn't the one being sentenced.

"The victim is not on the stand," Zumas said. "Whatever her past or future is, that's not why we're here."

Lima is an illegal immigrant from Guatemala. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has placed him under detainer for deportation once he completes his sentence.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/ ... 7289.story