Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pa. mayor fighting to keep immigration issue alive

Pa. mayor fighting to keep immigration issue alive
    MICHAEL RUBINKAM

The Associated Press

HAZLETON, Pa. - Mayor Lou Barletta, whose bid to unseat a 12-term congressman is based largely on his reputation as an anti-illegal immigration crusader, is trying to keep his signature issue alive even as voters turn their attention to the troubled economy and sky-high gas prices.

The three-term Republican mayor on Tuesday announced the "Lou Barletta I-9 Challenge" , his latest effort to rid Hazleton of illegal immigrants. Even so, he conceded that immigration may have been eclipsed as an issue in his campaign to oust Democratic Rep. Paul Kanjorski in a blue-collar, heavily Democratic district in northeastern Pennsylvania.

"Mainly gas and energy and the economy has been what's on the minds of most people," Barletta said.

Nevertheless, Barletta is still trying to keep voters focused on illegal immigration.

He has campaigned with Joey Vento, the owner of Philadelphia's famed Geno's Steaks who posted a sign in the window asking customers to speak English. He also invited presidential candidates Barack Obama, John McCain and Hillary Clinton to Hazleton to talk about illegal immigration. (All declined.)

On Tuesday, Barletta asked city businesses to work with a Florida company, Legal Employer Inc., to ensure that their employees are in the country legally. Legal Employer will use a federal database called E-Verify to check the employees' immigration status.

"We will continue to make sure Hazleton remains one of the toughest places in the United States for illegal aliens," Barletta said at the news conference.

But even around Hazleton, a city of 30,000 where illegal immigrants have been blamed for overburdened police, schools and hospitals, some residents say their attention is elsewhere.

Lifelong resident Carol Cauley, 66, said she "loves" Barletta and hopes he wins the election, but that "gas prices and food prices far override that (illegal immigration) issue.

"I think most people have come to the conclusion that our demographics have changed and that's a fact of life," she said.

Kanjorski's campaign spokesman, Ed Mitchell, said voters are talking more about jobs and the plunging real estate market than about illegal immigration.

While Kanjorski has "worked hard to secure our borders ... frankly there are other issues right now that are of equal importance, maybe of more importance," he said.

Barletta has sought to broaden his appeal. In his first ad of the fall campaign , released on the Internet last month , he presented himself as a candidate of change, mentioning illegal immigration only in passing.

"There's a lack of leadership in Washington right now and people appreciate the fact there's someone who's not afraid ... to do what I think is right for this country," Barletta said Tuesday. "And that's what's attracting so much support. It's not just illegal immigration."

Barletta, who is viewed as one of the Republicans' best hopes to snag a Democratic seat, has been a staple of talk radio and cable TV news since he began a campaign to get illegal immigrants out of Hazleton.

At Barletta's urging, the Hazleton City Council approved the Illegal Immigration Relief Act in July 2006. The law sought to deny business permits to companies that employ illegal immigrants, fine landlords who rent to them and require tenants to register and pay for a rental permit.

With Congress deadlocked over how address illegal immigration, many municipalities across the country have passed similar laws. A federal judge struck down Hazleton's ordinance as unconstitutional, but another judge upheld a similar measure in Valley Park, Mo.

Wilkes University political scientist Tom Baldino said he doubts Barletta can rely solely on illegal immigration to propel him to victory, given $4-per-gallon gas and fears of a recession.

"As an issue that's going to resonate with voters come November, I have my doubts," Baldino said.

On the Net:
    http://www.loubarletta.com/
    http://www.paulkanjorski.com/index.php

http://tinyurl.com/5poz64
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GOOOOO Lou!!! Gosh I hope he wins this seat, I wish I could vote for him!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Lifelong resident Carol Cauley, 66, said she "loves" Barletta and hopes he wins the election, but that "gas prices and food prices far override that (illegal immigration) issue.

"I think most people have come to the conclusion that our demographics have changed and that's a fact of life," she said.

Kanjorski's campaign spokesman, Ed Mitchell, said voters are talking more about jobs and the plunging real estate market than about illegal immigration.
    Uhhh did I get dumber overnight or are they just stupid? Do they see that there is a DIRECT connection between high prices and illegal immigration?

Demand is high, wages are lower now than 20 years ago (thanks to IAs), but prices keep going way up. More Americans out of work (thanks to IAs).

Housing bust was bound to happen because of overbuilding (thanks to cheap IA labor) and greedy builders (profiteers).

More money coming OUT of OUR salaries (to support unskilled, uneducated IAs who cannot stop breeding!), less money coming in for our OWN families!

Drain on resources (thanks to IAs overcrowding homes, schools, hospitals, roads,etc.)

HELLO?!?!?! WAKE THE HELL UP!

American job ($20/hr) going to illegal alien ($8/hr)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina

Uhhh did I get dumber overnight or are they just stupid? Do they see that there is a DIRECT connection between high prices and illegal immigration?

Demand is high, wages are lower now than 20 years ago (thanks to IAs), but prices keep going way up. More Americans out of work (thanks to IAs).

Housing bust was bound to happen because of overbuilding (thanks to cheap IA labor) and greedy builders (profiteers).

More money coming OUT of OUR salaries (to support unskilled, uneducated IAs who cannot stop breeding!), less money coming in for our OWN families!

Drain on resources (thanks to IAs overcrowding homes, schools, hospitals, roads,etc.)

HELLO?!?!?! WAKE THE HELL UP!

American job ($20/hr) going to illegal alien ($8/hr)
    People like this see no connection with illegal immigration and the economy what so ever
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Economics people Economics . Pay Attention to Barletta . So the Illegal works dirt cheap , big lie . Take more of them to do the job . The drain on Soical Services WILL kill your budget (Ask Arnold). The Demands of the Illegals are very costly also . Spanish speaking treachers , Spanish court interrupters and the list only grows . What about jobs for your kids ? NaNa . Vote American and Vote with logic .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*