Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pahrump - Hispanics flex MAPA muscle

http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/2006/ ... 49449.html

Dec. 22, 2006

Hispanics flex MAPA muscle
    TOWN'S ACTIONS SPUR EFFORT
    By CHRISTINA EICHELKRAUT

Carmen Ruiz, one of only a few realty agents in Pahrump that cater to the Hispanic community, was spurred to action when a proposed ordinance, which declared English as the official language of Pahrump, began to affect her business, Aztech Reality and Investments, Inc.

Now Ruiz has turned her office into a temporary base for the Mexican American Political Association (MAPA), which is preparing to form a new chapter in Pahrump.

MAPA, initially formed in the 1950s as a civil and human rights organization for Hispanics in America, has since evolved into a nonprofit organization that advocates for all ethnic groups and community development.

Alberto Castaneda, MAPA's vice president, said the organization decided to start a Pahrump chapter because "things were getting a little hot out there" and that originally "there was no real intention" to organize in Pahrump.

MAPA, Castaneda explained, only involves itself when civil and human rights are being threatened.

Castaneda has filed incorporation papers with the Secretary of State, which now lists MAPA as an active non-profit corporation based in Pahrump as of Dec. 20.

Castaneda's attention was brought to Pahrump about two months ago when he heard reports of Hispanics in Pahrump being harassed.

Castaneda contacted Ruiz and told her it was time for the Hispanic community to get organized.

"At that time I was starting to get a little desperate," Ruiz said.

Ruiz, who advertises her business on a large billboard on Highway 160 which proudly proclaims, "Se habla Espanol," relies largely on Hispanic cliental and was beginning to lose business.

"Before I used to have people calling me from the billboard asking me where my office is," Ruiz said. "That hasn't happened in almost two months. If it wasn't for my previous clients, my old clients that are always referring me, I would be out of business."

Ruiz said that much of this was due to misinformation being given to the Hispanic community by KINC Channel 15, a Spanish television station, which broadcast that PTO 54, the infamous "English ordinance," made it illegal to speak Spanish in Pahrump.

"I've been very upset with Channel 15 television," said Ruiz. "Every time we had a meeting, they would come and say we can't speak Spanish in Pahrump. That's not true."

Ruiz, who has been selling property in Pahrump for over six years, said that her clients were legal citizens who sought her out specifically because she spoke Spanish.

"Since six years ago, I started to bring my community, showing Pahrump, advertising Pahrump (as) a town where their children could be safe," Ruiz said. "And from this happening, I felt that I had betrayed them."

Three years ago Ruiz decided to move to Pahrump and open up her own office.

"By then, I had already worked with many clients that had come to Pahrump a long time ago, but they couldn't buy because they didn't speak English," Ruiz said. "These are people, they (are) wealthy people, Hispanics, American citizens that, you know, for some reason have never learned to speak English."

Ruiz said that it was the proposed PTO 59, which would have required illegal immigrants to register with Pahrump, that convinced her it was time to take action. "Since this happened, I said we need to get together and talk about the next meeting," Ruiz said. "We need to show them that we're not alone anymore, and that we have a voice."

So on the Saturday before the Dec. 12 town board meeting, Ruiz went to the park and began to tell other people about MAPA and asked them to attend the town board meeting.

She even told them to get there an hour early so they would be sitting in front of the sitting board members.

The next day, MAPA and prospective members of the Pahrump community held a meeting where the ACLU, a Black American civil rights organization, and Maldes, an organization that specializes in Hispanic litigious affairs, were all present.

"I thank Mr. (Michael) Miraglia because of this," Ruiz said. "He got us together as a community. We're not afraid; we have a lot of organizations to support us."

When asked about how proponents of the ordinance argue that it is action being taken only against illegal immigrants, Ruiz adamantly disagrees.

"That's not true. They're targeting Hispanics," Ruiz said. "They're saying illegals, but that's not true. Because how do they know if (people are) illegal or not? Most of the kids are American citizens. And they tell their kids not to speak Spanish ... they're just harassing the Hispanic community."

The interview with Ruiz was interrupted when Denise Davis, a resident of Pahrump, came into her office and asked how she could join MAPA.

Davis explained that although she is not Hispanic, her grandparents came from Mexico.

"I'm here to show support," Davis told Ruiz. "I'm outraged, totally outraged."

Castaneda emphasized that MAPA focuses primarily on community development and involvement and is an advocate for all ethnic groups.

He also said that the perception that MAPA advocates illegal immigration is "not true" and that "immigration is a matter for the government."

Castaneda pointed out that one of MAPA's sister organizations, Hermandad Mexicana, was a strictly educational group that focused on teaching English, citizenship preparatory classes, and providing low-cost medical services.

He also said that prior to last Tuesday's meeting Pahrump was "on the brink of being slammed with three huge lawsuits," and that last Sunday Maldes had already been in the process of preparing legal documentation.

PTO 59 was removed from the agenda by Clerk Paul Willis and was never considered by the town board.

But Castaneda would rather not sue in any case and instead emphasized the need to take a more positive approach.

"I don't think that's necessary," Castaneda said. "We'd rather work with the community."

Currently, MAPA has written a letter to all the community organizations in Pahrump, inviting them to participate in MAPA activities.

Castaneda also plans to contact the Catholic church and see what organizations can be developed in cooperation with it.

But he said "the first order of business" is to develop a pamphlet on parliamentary procedure and get more ethnic people to attend and participate in town board meetings.

He said one of the long-term goals of MAPA is to bring more diversity to Pahrump representatives.

"Next election, we want to see a tribal face on the board," Castaneda said. "And a Latino and an Asian face. Diversity brings harmony."

At last count, MAPA reported 150 individuals had filled out applications to join.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Nothing wrong with diversity if it is legal, everything wrong if it is not! I don't want to be know for my diversity but for my being an American!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

MW
    "By then, I had already worked with many clients that had come to Pahrump a long time ago, but they couldn't buy because they didn't speak English," Ruiz said. "These are people, they (are) wealthy people, Hispanics, American citizens that, you know, for some reason have never learned to speak English."
    What reason would these folks, if in fact legal, have had for not learning English? I thought a basic knowledge of the English language was a requirement for citizenship? Geez, this lady must think real American citizens just fell off the turnipe truck.

I know some legal residents don't speak English, but I thought it was a requirement for citizenship. I know they aren't required to be fluent, but don't they have to take an oral exam showing a basic knowledge of the language as part of their citizenship test?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

tribal face
    What????
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother