Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pahrump, NV Passes English Only Ordinance

Pahrump Passes English Only Ordinance
    http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=5682621

Nov 14, 2006

It's been called racist, but the small town of Pahrump went forward with a vote to make English the official language of the town.

The proposal brought dozens out to comment tonight and officials wanted to make sure they heard from everyone before making a decision on this controversial issue.

It was emotional and it was sometimes heated. But after a lot of debate, the town board voted three to two to make English the official language of Pahrump. The meeting drew hundreds of people with just as many opinions.

Pahrump officials say the town hall meeting was unlike any other with hundreds of people. media from all over Nevada, and a strong police presence all for an ordinance that even the proposer called "token."

Town board member Michael Miraglia brought forward an ordinance that would make English the official language of Pahrump and Nye County.

Miraglia said, "We're in America. We're speaking American English. That's the way it should be. You know, if you go to Mexico, are they going to accommodate us?"

Miraglia hopes his idea gains momentum and that English is made the official language of the state, but some say that's racist.

Pahrump resident Maria Anderson commented, "I think it makes 'em look a little un-American since this country was founded by immigrants."

Before the town board voted, supporters and critics took their turns speaking out. Here are a few of the comments:

"This is America, one language please."

"Freedom of speech is freedom to speak in any language, not just English."

"If they come here, they learn English. What they speak at home is entirely different."

"I'll be damned if I have to tell my kids they can't have both cultures both English and Spanish."

The American Civil Liberties Union even threatened a constitutional lawsuit for a provision in the ordinance that would make it illegal to fly a foreign flag by itself.

Lee Rowland, with the ACLU, said, "Our freedom is based on our abilities to express ourselves as Americans, and as Americans that has a lot of meanings for a lot of people."

In the end the town board voted to narrowly pass the ordinance making Pahrump an English-first town.

Other provisions of the ordinance make it illegal to fly a foreign flag by itself and prohibits illegal immigrants from receiving any benefits from the town of Pahrump.

There is no way to really enforce this ordinance. It even states that Pahrump will not discourage the use or learning of other languages.

Town officials say this law will be implemented in about a month.

Just Monday night, a town just outside of Dallas also made English the official language.

City officials in Farmers Branch, Texas voted unanimously to pass the ordinance, which also bans landlords from leasing to undocumented immigrants and penalizes businesses that employ illegal immigrants.
    By damaging us, you damage yourselves!

http://www.siliconeer.com/past_issues/2 ... form_1.jpg

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Once again the usual gaggle of invasion supporters throw a hissy fit. My question is why do they even get a say in this? They are illegal, they have no rights, they shouldn't even be here. They should have no say in how we conduct business. We are American citizens, we set the rules, we set the agenda, not the illegal scum. If you LaRaza don't like it then leave, I'm sure Uncle Vicente will take good care of you.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm really getting sick of this argument that we do not have a right to our national language because "we are a nation of immigrants." What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?? MANY countries are a "nation of immigrants." Do these people think that the US is the only country who has immigrants? All of the countries of Europe have other nationalities living in them besides their "native" population. And they all learn the language of the natives! There is nothing "racist" about it. Eight-five percent of the countries in the world have an official language, including ten south of the border which have Spanish as their official language. Are they all "racist"?? Enough of this nonsense. Nobody put a gun to these peoples' heads to come here. If you choose to come to the US, learn English.

DD

I suppose the Irish shouldn't wave the Irish flag on St. Patty's day, right?

Interesting.

We are a nation of immigrants and we should have the freedom to practice our religion/cultural differences so long as 'we do no harm'. I smell a lawsuit.

P.S. Waving a flag is harmless...what I do have a problem with are the people who burn our American Flag. I take issue with that and that is something that is more important to me.

Is it legal to burn the American Flag here in the United States? Anyone know for certain?

DD said:
    Is it legal to burn the American Flag here in the United States? Anyone know for certain?
    Why would one even ask such a question here?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Screw the flag, DD. It's not important.

Why do you think there is something wrong with declaring English as our National Language?

I'd really like someone who feels the way you do about it explain it to me.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    Screw the flag, DD. It's not important.

Why do you think there is something wrong with declaring English as our National Language?

I'd really like someone who feels the way you do about it explain it to me.
    Flags are important....primarily the American flag.

With regard to the English language.......here are my thoughts:

Yes. THings are easier for all of us to communicate using one language.

I am one of those people who wonder about the times before the Tower of Babel. Before the destruction of the Tower of Babel......it is my understanding that people spoke one language -- but all in all, regardless of how many languages that are spoken in the United States.....there should be more than one official language here in the U.S. Other countries do it, and since we are the LAND OF THE IMMIGRANTS.....I don't see why we can't introduce Spanish as a second official language of the nation. In fact....if other cultural backgrounds want to introduce a bill, I say more power to them. It is their right to band together and create political shifting towards an idea that might work.

My two cents.

Banned
    You name the countries with more than one official language and I'll name the ones that have a problem with 'Balkanization'.

Oh wait, that would allow me to just use YOUR list.

Not the kind of thing I want for my country, thank you just the same.

We are a nation of immigrants and we should have the freedom to practice our religion/cultural differences so long as 'we do no harm'. I smell a lawsuit.
    YIKES........DD, you must be off your meds tonight
    You really don't want to be using that dried up, old and disinformative piece of crap for a statement, DO YOU?

We're a nation of AMERICANS, sweetie. Did you forget so quickly?

Oye, you really should expand your reading material.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast