http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/ ... ily39.html

A Republican state lawmaker is firing back at critics who wanted him booted from a key committee chairmanship because of ethnically charged controversies earlier this year.

State Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, is headed for another term as House Appropriations Committee chairman, despite the fact that some Democrats and Hispanic advocates wanted him to lose that post. They cite his conservative stance on immigration and a forwarded e-mail to supporters from a neo-Nazi group that contained anti-Semitic references about the news media.

Pearce apologized for the e-mail and said he did not know the group's background had not read the entire article.

Hispanics groups and Democrats also were upset with Pearce for referring to a 1950s illegal immigrant deportation program called Operation Wetback.

Arizona House Speaker Jim Weiers noted Pearce's apology for the e-mail and said he has done a good job in steering the budgetary panel.

Pearce said the criticism stems from his tough stand on illegal immigration, border security and punishment for employers that hire illegals.

"Everyone knows these are folks trying to silence me on the issue of enforcing our laws on this illegal alien invasion, these are open border pro-amnesty groups," said Pearce.

"These are anarchists who continue to attack me because of my sincere effort to secure our borders, enforce our laws and I put God, country and family first," said Pearce.

As Appropriations Committee chair, Pearce has supported tax cuts and has been resistant to increased spending pushed by Democratic Gov. Janet Napolitano.