Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pennsylvania: Hazleton Mayor Runs for Congress

Published Thursday | February 7, 2008
    Hazleton Mayor Runs for Congress
    By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press

HAZLETON, Pa. (AP) - Mayor Lou Barletta, whose local crackdown on illegal immigration made him a national hero among those seeking tighter borders, said Thursday he will try to parlay that celebrity into a seat in Congress.

Barletta announced he will seek the Republican nomination to challenge 12-term Democratic Rep. Paul Kanjorski. He lost to Kanjorski by more than 13 percentage points in 2002, but the mayor's illegal-immigration stance has raised his profile significantly since then.

"I've done as much as I can fighting illegal immigration as the mayor of a city," he told The Associated Press. "I need to take this fight to Washington, because that's where the problem needs to be fixed."

Barletta has been a staple of talk radio and cable TV news for nearly two years, since he began a campaign to get illegal immigrants out of Hazleton, a city of about 30,000. He was courted heavily by Republicans hoping to pick up a seat in Kanjorski's blue-collar, heavily Democratic district in northeastern Pennsylvania.

"I will stand up for all of the victims of crime committed by illegal aliens. I will speak out for the American workers who can't find a decent job because of a depressed wage scale," Barletta said Thursday at a news conference packed with supporters.

Democrats pounced on Barletta, who just began a third term as mayor.

"We are confident the people of the 11th Congressional District will recognize the difference between a real leader and a political opportunist," said Pennsylvania Democratic Chairman T.J. Rooney.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee accused Barletta of favoring the privatization of Social Security and "gambling with our seniors' retirement savings," a line of attack Democrats hope will resonate in a district whose population is largely elderly.

Kanjorski has yet to announce a re-election campaign but has tried to stake his own claim on Barletta's signature issue. He sent a mailer to constituents in October describing himself as "tough on illegal immigration," and recently told an audience in the Pocono Mountains that "closing the border is practical."

At Barletta's urging, the Hazleton City Council in 2006 approved the Illegal Immigration Relief Act, which sought to deny business permits to companies that employ illegal immigrants, fine landlords who rent to them and require tenants to register and pay for a rental permit.

With Congress deadlocked over how address illegal immigration, many municipalities across the country have passed similar laws.

Critics say Hazleton-style measures discriminate against Hispanics and assume powers that belong to the federal government, but reaction from the courts has been mixed. A federal judge in July struck down Hazleton's ordinance as unconstitutional, but another judge upheld a similar measure in Valley Park, Mo., last week.

Barletta said he wants to secure the nation's borders, airports and seaports; punish "sanctuary cities" that offer a haven to illegal immigrants; target criminals who supply fraudulent documents; and crack down on businesses that hire illegal immigrants.
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

Go Lou!!!!!!!

Where can we give to his campaign. Let's put our money where our mouths are. This is what I'm talking about. Let's get rid of the OBL's in Congress and begin that fight NOW.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't think there is a website to go to yet to donate. All I've found is the website for donations to help in the support of the Hazleton law against illegal immigration. That is www.smalltowndefenders.com
    [/url]
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I sure would like to know if he has a campaign going already and how to contact them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[b]Look what the other side has to say:

Lou Dobbs Barletta, Known Anti-Immigrant Wants To Crack Some Anchor Baby Head All The Way To Congress
    By Ticatecla

Yesterday Lou Barletta, the Hazelton PA mayor as known to Latinos as Lou Dobbs, announced yesterday that he is riding his xenophobic wave all the way to Capitol Hill:

HAZLETON, Pa. (AP)–Mayor Lou Barletta, whose local crackdown on illegal immigration made him a national hero among those seeking tighter borders, said Thursday he will try to parlay that celebrity into a seat in Congress.

Barletta announced he will seek the Republican nomination to challenge 12-term Democratic Rep. Paul Kanjorski. He lost to Kanjorski by more than 13 percentage points in 2002, but the mayor’s illegal-immigration stance has raised his profile significantly since then.

“I’ve done as much as I can fighting illegal immigration as the mayor of a city,â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Politics!
    ~~
    Complaint filed against Barletta campaign
    Saturday, 09 February 2008
    By JILL WHALEN
    Staff Writer
    The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission against the Lou Barletta for Congress campaign.

The Democratic committee, which is the official campaign arm of House Democrats, charges that after the Hazleton mayor lost his bid for Congress in 2002, his campaign committee took out a $65,000 loan – and hasn’t made a payment on it since then.
    A spokesman for the Barletta campaign committee, however, said that it never took a loan from a bank. He thinks a clerical error might be to blame for the charge.
    “There was never a bank loan made to the campaign,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

According to FEC guidelines, if a campaign committee has outstanding debts following an election, it can continue to accept contributions to pay it off. Or it can form a new campaign committee for the candidate, and the former committee can transfer debt to it.

Soooooooo big deal. I don't know of a bank that will just let $65,000 go without any notice. Come on. That would have been out when he ran for Mayor again. It's bogus or the are just plain SCARED.

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Veterans group endorses Barletta: www.pocononews.net/news/September08/12/12Sep08-5.html