People Living Near Rio Grande Say Shootouts Won’t Make Them Leave

Reported by: Polo Sandoval
Reported by: Camaron Abundes
Last Update: 7:05 pm

MISSION - Life isn't the same for people who spend their days in the Rio Grande. Thursday morning's shootout is a reminder that the peace and tranquility they once knew is gone.

Fishermen say Thursday morning’s battle on the border isn't going to make them change their ways.

D. Cook didn't know what happened on his fishing waters until we told him. Game wardens clashed with drug smugglers in a hail of bullets.

"We’re faced everyday with this stuff here in the Valley. It's getting to be kind of commonplace. I just don't know. You can’t stay indoors and shut yourself in. You got to go live your life," says Cook.

Cook would rather take his chances than live his life around the ongoing border battle.

"We'll probably be more at easy with all the law enforcement that's here today. I don't feel too threatened at this point," says Cook.

Cook ventures into the unknown.

"If it's your time to go, I guess be ready," says Cook.

A carefree wave proves Cook is one of many unfazed by the danger.

The presence of Border Patrol and law enforcement is nothing new for people living in the area. Those living in RV parks along the river say they're glad to see the agents. Many say that's why they're not afraid.

Still, they worry the men and women who patrol the waters may be in danger.

Stray bullets don't scare veteran Bill Denser.

"After 27 years in the military, that thought doesn't bother me all that much," says Denser.

The veteran says he's witnessed everything from boats loaded with illegals crossing the river to cartel lookouts spying on U.S. law enforcement. He points out the clearings where the criminals gather intelligence. Up river is where the gunfight erupted.

"There's no place that's safe in this world. This place is about as safe as any," says Denser.

Another park resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, says he's happy to see the good guys patrolling, although the retiree fears anyone wearing a uniform might as well be wearing a bull’s-eye as far as the cartel is concerned.

Denser isn't fazed.

"I think it's safer here than on the highway," he says.

The 75-year-old accepts every aspect of living out his retirement along the Rio Grande.

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Pe ... bvL1g.cspx