Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Peter King headed to Canadian border

http://www.thestar.com

Critic of Canada to inspect border
    Security measures irk U.S. lawmaker

Had called country Al Qaeda haven
    Jul. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM
    BETH GORHAM
    CANADIAN PRESS

WASHINGTON—A U.S. legislator who has said Canada harbours a "disproportionate" number of Al Qaeda terrorists is visiting the Canadian border to do security inspections.

New York Republican Peter King, who chairs the House of Representatives homeland security committee, told a news conference he's headed to the border tomorrow.

The House is wrestling this summer with its legislation on illegal immigration and border security passed last December. It diverges widely from Senate proposals and includes a provision to study erecting a security wall along the Canadian border.

"There are two borders," King said yesterday. "Obviously 85 per cent of illegal immigration comes from the southern border (with Mexico), but I also think we should not ignore the Canadian border, especially in view of the terrorist ring that was broken up in Canada."

Meantime, a group of Republican and Democratic congressmen, including Rob Simmons who chairs the intelligence subcommittee, will visit Toronto on Sunday and Monday on a fact-finding mission in light of Canada's sweeping anti-terror arrests last month. The goal is to learn more about homegrown terrorism and share information, according to his website.

Shortly after the arrests in Toronto of 17 terror suspects early last month, King blasted Canada as an unwitting haven for a large number of terrorists, blaming its soft immigration laws.

"I think it's a disproportionate number of Al Qaeda in Canada because of their very liberal immigration laws, because of how political asylum is granted so easily," King said at the time.

In a later interview with The Canadian Press, he stood by his remarks while acknowledging the work of authorities north of the border.

King said he hadn't decided whether he supports a delay in strict new border identification measures that the Senate is pushing. While he doesn't think National Guard troops are necessary at the Canadian border, he supports investigating the idea of a fence, whether it's an actual barrier or a virtual wall with sensors and other equipment.

Asked yesterday if the House legislation needs to be amended in some way to address the Canadian border, King said: "I don't want to prejudge."

"I wouldn't say so at this time, but I want to see myself and talk to the people at the border."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I think it's a disproportionate number of Al Qaeda in Canada because of their very liberal immigration laws,
    Now if that is not calling the kettle black. I do not pretend to know Canada's immigration laws but with lack of enforcement we have going on here, our government has no right to speak to any other country about their immigration policies.