Hot issues ahead for council
Migration, budget focus of Phoenix inauguration
Casey Newton
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 3, 2008 12:00 AM

Controversies over illegal immigration and the threat of major service cuts this year somewhat dampened the mood at Wednesday's inauguration of Mayor Phil Gordon and four other members of the Phoenix City Council.

"I have a friend who said to me, 'Ye gods, what a time to be going into office,' " said Thelda Williams, a former mayor who is returning to the council after 12 years. "Housing's going downhill, lenders are in deep trouble, we need a billion dollars to fix the streets, and I hear we're gonna go in and cut the budget first thing. But you know what? This is an absolutely golden opportunity."

In sharp contrast to festive performances from the Phoenix Boys Choir and Fiesta Mexicana dance troupe, council members acknowledged the controversies that await them. They face an economic slowdown that will require them to pare $53 million from the budget and disputes over illegal immigration that are drawing national headlines.

Williams and her fellow newcomers, Maria Baier and Michael Nowakowski, said a thorough review of the budget would be among their first priorities.

Immigration featured heavily in the day's inaugural speeches, with the mayor and council alternately calling for compassion for all residents of Phoenix and for stricter enforcement of immigration laws.

Gordon was among those calling for compassion. He urged the federal government to pass immigration reform that would provide work visas "for millions of honest, hard-working people who help strengthen our country - and grow our economy."

"Let us all remember that not everyone who speaks Spanish, or looks Hispanic, is in this country illegally," Gordon said. "Stereotyping by anyone is wrong. Profiling by anyone is wrong and illegal. Neither has a place in Phoenix."

The mayor's remarks came a month after he angered some in Phoenix's large Hispanic community by saying he no longer supported Phoenix's Operations Order 1.4, the policy that prohibits police from inquiring about a person's immigration status in most cases.

The policy is now under review by the Police Department and by a four-man advisory panel that Gordon convened.

Councilman Claude Mattox, who was inaugurated Wednesday after being elected to his third term, voiced support for changing the operations order.

"Not to assume responsibility for federal immigration enforcement, but to ensure that our front-line police officers have the tools necessary to fully investigate the criminals they apprehend," Mattox said. "I know Mayor Gordon has moved outside his comfort zone on this issue, and I applaud his leadership."

Nowakowski, the first Hispanic elected to the council since Salomon Leija in 1993, joined Gordon in calling for federal immigration reform. "We must also do our part in dealing with this issue by bringing respect to the debate," Nowakowski said.

Gordon called for unity as the city confronts the challenges it faces.

"None of us has all the answers," Gordon said. "Yet together, we can figure out most of them."

www.azcentral.com