Immigration Protesters Protest Their Label
January 14th, 2008 @ 10:20am
by Bob McClay/KTAR

Some protesters at the center of Phoenix's immigration debate say they have been unfairly labeled by the news media.

The protesters, who have been trying to shut down a day labor center in north Phoenix, say they would prefer to be called pro-American instead of anti-illegal immigration.

Craig Tillman said he doesn't really care. ``Pro-American? Yes, I am pro-American. Anti-illegal? I am anti-illegal. So you can use both statements for me."

But, he added, ``We are pro-American. This is my country and I welcome anybody in my country through the front door. But, I will not let someone come in through my back door and start demanding rights on me. The illegal aliens are anti-American because they didn't come in right."

Tillman said he wishes people would stop calling him a racist.

``I'm part Indian and part French, and I know there's black in my family," he said. ``But, everybody's calling me a racist. I'm no racist. I'm just trying to do what's best for my country."

Tillman said he wishes others would join his group.

``All Americans have to stand up for this problem. We have to get off our backsides and start contacting our representatives and doing it legally."

http://news.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=701017