Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Phoenix mayor: Arpaio raids are 'made-for-TV stunts'

SEE THE VIDEO AT THE LINK

Phoenix mayor: Arpaio raids are 'made-for-TV stunts'

Casey Newton and JJ Hensley
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 28, 2008 03:30 PM
    video Immigration rights protesters accuse Arpaio of racial profiling
    video Businesses have mixed reaction to Sheriff's patrols
    video Both sides in Thursday's protest are looking forward
    video Battle over Sheriff’s patrols being fought online

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon lashed out at Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Friday, describing the sheriff's recent raids in northeast Phoenix as "made-for-TV stunts" and his recent actions on immigration "not acceptable."

"Go after criminals - not a teenager driving with a broken tail light," Gordon said, referring to the sheriff's recent deployment of 200 deputies and armed volunteer posse members to a command post near Cave Creek and Bell roads.

Arpaio set up shop there a few days after mounting a similar effort near 36th Street and Thomas Road.

In both cases, Arpaio said he acted after receiving complaints from local merchants about day laborers in the area disrupting their businesses.

Gordon gave his remarks at a luncheon to honor civil-rights leader Cesar Chavez.

He characterized the sheriff's raids as naked acts of racial profiling. He described one of the people who helped to circulate petitions among those businesses as "a self-described neo-Nazi."

Arpaio said the requests for help came from businesses who were frustrated about the lack of action from Phoenix police. The source of the petition shouldn't matter, he said.

"Not only is he insulting the sheriff and my organization, he's insulting all these business people who signed it," Arpaio said. "He's just repeating what all his pro-immigrant friends are saying."

http://tinyurl.com/2wplon

hmm driving with a broken tail light is a violation of the law, mr mayor.

surely your not that STUPID

Gordon gave his remarks at a luncheon to honor civil-rights leader Cesar Chavez.
    That says it all............

Politics has been said to be the second oldest profession. I believe it bears a close resemblance to the first.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mayor responds to Valley crime suppression patrols
    Reported by: Katrina Wessman

Last Update: 3/28 5:25 pm

Mayor Phil Gordon attended a luncheon honoring Cesar Chavez on Friday and responded to the recent Maricopa County Sherriff's Office crime suppression patrols in the Valley.

Below is Gordon's speech:

Luncheon Honoring Cesar Chavez
    Remarks by Mayor Phil Gordon
    March 28, 2008

Thank you, Veronica. Thank you, Governor Napolitano, for being here and for sharing your eloquent words with us.

As I look around this room, I see some of my very best friends. And many of my long-time friends. And I know that on December 3 of last year, when I asked our Police Department to review its internal policy -- some of you were frustrated. But you stayed with me – and I thank you. I am still one of the most fortunate guys in town to have you as my friends.

I’m always honored to be at this wonderful event that celebrates an American hero. In some ways, it’s hard to believe that – all these years after Cesar Chavez stood up for the farm workers with such courage, conviction and eloquence – we are still struggling against very real issues of race and discrimination and injustice in this country. And sadly, in our own city.

I had prepared some remarks that were in keeping with your broad theme of education. But yesterday, something happened that moved me to give a different speech today. Though it’s still about education.

Last night, the Sheriff communicated with the law enforcement professionals of our community like he communicates with most everyone – by issuing a press release. He announced that his 200 volunteer posse members would be “migrating northâ€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Phil Gordon should follow the adivce of sticking with what one does best and go make a run for the Mexican presidency.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    Quote Originally Posted by MyAmerica
    That says it all............

Politics has been said to be the second oldest profession. I believe it bears a close resemblance to the first.
    ....sure does!!!!

P A N D E R I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We surely wouldn't want to ENFORCE THE LAW!!!!!!!!! Throw this mayor out of office!!!! Good for Sheriff Arpaio!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

It's time for Phil Gordon to hit the road, if you are not representing Americans you should not hold any kind of an office we don't need or want people like you!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

So how come I haven't seen it on TV? It was made for it, after all.