Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu talks Congress, economy

santanvalleytoday.com
    By Chase Kamp Today Publications
    Friday, 13 January 2012 03:48

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu announced his run for the U.S. House of Representatives on Jan. 4, 2012, hoping to win leadership of newly drawn Congressional District 4 in Nov.

On New Year’s Day 2012, the Sheriff sat down with Today Publications to discuss his Congressional run and ideological stances. While the Sheriff did not officially announce his candidacy until four days later, he said at the time he was assured of the likelihood of his candidacy going forward.

Babeu has gotten plenty of face time on national cable networks and local TV discussing drug cartel issues in Pinal County and those familiar with his law enforcement work know that illegal immigration enforcement is a top priority of his office. Its role in his candidacy will be no different.

“We have an unsecured border that allows the drug cartels to operate freely in our country, and results in 400,000 illegal crossings into our state every year,” Babeu said in a statement announcing his candidacy. “It’s time for a new Sheriff in Washington.”

When asked if he had ever aspired to reach this kind of political office, Babeu said, “I never thought, when I moved out here ten years ago, that I would run for Sheriff.”

Babeu is a fiscal conservative. Like the Tea Party, he fears the national debt will cripple American’s standing as the strongest worldwide economy, possibly losing out to growing countryes like China and India.

“I think the country is threatened by the massive amounts of debt we have compiled, both by Republicans and Democrats,” he said. “The only way to change that is to have people in government that are accustomed to making tough decisions.”

Babeu said he would reform entitlements like Medicare and Social Security, and scale back the federal workforce.

Babeu said he sees the debt as a threat to. “It compromises our ability to have a superpower-strength military,” he said. “If we don’t fix what’s going on now, this assault on free-market principles, we’re compromising the strength of our country.”

When asked if he considers himself affiliated with the Tea Party, Babeu said he supports their ideals. “I’m a Republican and a Sheriff first,” he said. “I’ve spoken in front of many Tea Parties and I’ve supported their demanding of action. I believe they remain a strong influence in today’s politics.

Babeu said the inability of Congress to pass legislation in the midst of partisan bickering was “unacceptable.” However, he said he would not see his position as merely one of 435 members of Congress.

“If elected, people can be assured that I will be a part of shaping debate and demanding action,” he said.

Babeu said if he gets the Republican nod for the CD 4 seat, PCSO Chief Deputy Steve Henry will likely run for Sheriff of Pinal County. “He’s a mirror copy on all the issues and helped make the planning and implementation of all our reforms,” Babeu said.

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu talks Congress, economy
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good we need lots more like him