Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Plant fires Muslim workers in lunch break dispute

Press
    Plant fires Muslim workers in lunch break dispute
    Associated Press 09.11.08, 7:04 AM ET

GREELEY, Colo. -
    A union representing Muslim workers at a JBS Swift & Co. meatpacking plant plans to file grievances over the firing of more than 100 workers in a dispute over religious accommodations, a spokesman said Wednesday.

At issue is a request by Muslim workers to be able to take lunch breaks at sunset to end their fast during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. As many as 300 workers walked out of JBS Swift & Co. on Friday before their shifts ended, and the union had been in talks with the company.

Many of the workers were suspended. Swift spokeswoman Tamara Smid said in a written statement Wednesday the workers were told they would be fired if they didn't report to work when recalled. Smid didn't specify how many workers were fired. She said the company adjusted the workers' breaks by more than an hour to accommodate them.

United Food and Commercial Workers Local 7 spokesman Manny Gonzales said Wednesday that 130 to 150 workers from JBS Swift & Co. were fired. He said the union would file grievances against the company.

The firings came a day after representatives from the union met with Swift officials to discuss workers' concerns.

But many of the workers who gathered at a Greeley park on Tuesday expressed their dissatisfaction with negotiations by saying, "No prayer, no work."

Last year, in Grand Island, Neb., dozens of workers also quit their jobs at a Swift & Co. meatpacking plant because of the same concerns. A union spokesman said then that 94 workers there had quit, but the company said it was about 70 people. More than a week later, several of the workers returned.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/09/ ... 12526.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

your fault an problem . Freaken Nuts O for hiring Muslims anyway . I'ld stake my life they are not even good workers , just warm bodies .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But many of the workers who gathered at a Greeley park on Tuesday expressed their dissatisfaction with negotiations by saying, "No prayer, no work."
    I'm glad the company called their bluff, enough is enough! Now they can pray any time they want to. No one else is paid to pray on company time, so how do these workers think they're special? Businesses are expected to stop everything to accomodate their multiple prayer times? As a non-muslim, that's a violation of MY civil rights! This PC crap got us into this mess, time to stop being PC!
    "

Hey work keeps interfering with my personal life too, but guess what, I have to work and I'm thankful to have a job in a company that DOES NOT hire illegals.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

Last year, in Grand Island, Neb., dozens of workers also quit their jobs at a Swift & Co. meatpacking plant because of the same concerns.
    Now that history has repeated itself, maybe Swift and Co needs to put signs up stating that there are no special break times for prayers......

This is America, if you don't like the way we do things here, feel free to go back to where you came from!

Oh my goodness! We have a company with some cojones! To bad all of our politicians are eunuchs....
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!

MW
    She said the company adjusted the workers' breaks by more than an hour to accommodate them.
    I'm disappointed that the company made any concessions at all for reasons of religion. With unemployment at the level it is, there is no excuse for a company to be held hostage to blackmailers.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    She said the company adjusted the workers' breaks by more than an hour to accommodate them.
    I disappointed that the company made any concessions at all for reasons of religion. With unemployment at the level it is, there is no excuse for a company to be held hostage to blackmailers.
    Like my Granddaddy used to say

"GIVE 'EM AN INCH AND THEY'LL WANT A MILE......."

Foolishness! This is The United States of America! Learn it. Accept it. LOVE it. OR GET OUT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast