Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Political winds shifting for Tancredo

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_2942775

Political winds shifting for Tancredo

By Dan Haley
    Denver Post Editorial Board
    DenverPost.com

Told three years ago to never darken the doorsteps of the White House again, Congressman Tom Tancredo suddenly is the toast of Washington.

OK, that's pushing it, but more and more people want to hear from the Littleton Republican, who's been on a one-man crusade against illegal immigration since he was elected in 1998.

Even Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman is saying nice things about him. Three years ago, the party was embarrassed by Tancredo, saying he didn't represent mainstream Republicans.

But the winds are shifting.

You can expect immigration reform to replace Social Security as the next big issue in Washington when lawmakers return from their August recess.

Before they adjourned, President Bush visited the Republican congressional caucus and lawmakers told him they were getting hammered at home over immigration. Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave hears about it wherever she goes.

Tancredo has been barnstorming the country, trying to make immigration an issue in the 2008 presidential race and threatening to run if no one else picks up the torch. He's as suspicious as anyone as to why immigration is suddenly the hot topic - his rabble-rousing paying off? - but it's likely a combination of things, including the London bombings, that has Washington ready to act.

Either way, it's long overdue.

The immigration president?

Speaking of Tancredo, his would-be presidential run is turning a few heads. He landed the No. 9 spot on PoliticalDerby.com's power rankings for the 2008 race - one spot ahead of Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum. "He's gone from an afterthought to a candidate worthy \[of\] an extra look," the site reads. "... He's speaking on college campuses, and his message is being eaten up faster than a cheese danish at a Howard Dean presser."

Tancredo stumped in California last week and has trips planned this month to Utah, Minnesota and Iowa. Next month, he'll head back to New Hampshire, the nation's first primary state.

Big-time bloggers

Just how influential is the ColoradoPols.com weblog becoming in state politics? Within 30 minutes of his announcement to drop out of the governor's race, Rutt Bridges was on the site posting a message clarifying his decision. And earlier this month, false rumors that Republican Marc Holtzman had dropped from the governor's race were reported on the popular site and it threw the political world into a tizzy.

Bridges, a self-made millionaire, said he doesn't have the stomach for politics. But he also had trouble raising money, an interesting twist considering the piles of money he's handed candidates and causes over the years. Of the four declared candidates, he finished last in fundraising last quarter.

Hastert stumping the 7th

House Speaker Dennis Hastert is throwing his support behind Rick O'Donnell in Colorado's 7th Congressional District, and he'll be here Aug. 25 for a fundraiser at the Brown Palace. Republicans are hoping the big-name endorsements for O'Donnell (the conservative Club for Growth backed him last week) will help keep Jefferson County Treasurer Mark Paschall out of the race.

Minority Leader McElhany?

Look for Sen. Andy McElhany to be elected Senate Minority Leader when Republicans gather next Monday. The conservative El Paso County senator was recruited into the race and now has enough votes among the 17 GOP senators to edge out moderate Sen. Steve Johnson of Fort Collins. Sen. John Evans, another conservative, also is running. Sen. Norma Anderson has been interim minority leader since Mark Hillman left in June to become treasurer and it became clear none of three running had a majority.

McElhany already is acting the part, helping Anderson recruit candidates for 2006.

Political double-play

Democratic tongues are wagging over the possibility that U.S. Sen. Ken Salazar might run for governor in 2006, even though he was just elected to the Senate. Here's the interesting part: If he runs and wins, he could appoint his own successor. Sen. John Salazar, anyone?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We knew it was just a matter of time. I think he's the Republican's ONLY hope for 2008. And he's a GREAT candidate!!!! They should be counting their blessings that he is a Republican. After Bush....I don't think they'd have had much hope at all for 2008.

TANCREDO 2008
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    We knew it was just a matter of time. I think he's the Republican's ONLY hope for 2008. And he's a GREAT candidate!!!! They should be counting their blessings that he is a Republican. After Bush....I don't think they'd have had much hope at all for 2008.

TANCREDO 2008
    I personally think he should step away from them, and he be the core of a new Party.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Scuba, I'd be all for that too. Whatever it takes for him to win, I'm for.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I personally think he should step away from them, and he be the core of a new Party.
    I agree.