Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Politicians, others react to Supreme Court ruling on Arizona immigration law

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Politicians, others react to Supreme Court ruling on Arizona immigration law

Politicians, others react to Supreme Court ruling on Arizona immigration law

Published: Monday, June 25, 2012, 10:36 AM Updated: Monday, June 25, 2012, 11:59 AM

By Debbie M. Lord, Press-Register

The Supreme Court today struck down a good portion of Arizona's immigration law, leaving only the "check your papers" part of the law that requires police to perform roadside immigration checks of people they've stopped or detained only if a "reasonable suspicion" they are in the country illegally exists.

Here's what people are saying about the ruling:

(The Birmingham News /Mark Almond)Robert Bentley

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley -- "State laws on immigration are required because the federal government has refused to enforce its own immigration policies."

“While Alabama’s anti-illegal immigration law has similar provisions as Arizona’s law, the laws are not identical."
    Jan Brewer, governor of Arizona issued this statement -- “Today’s decision by the U.S. Supreme Court is a victory for the rule of law. It is also a victory for the 10th Amendment and all Americans who believe in the inherent right and responsibility of states to defend their citizens. After more than two years of legal challenges, the heart of SB 1070 can now be implemented in accordance with the U.S. Constitution."

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the minority -- "If securing its territory in this fashion is not within the power of Arizona, we should cease referring to it as a sovereign state."

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority -- "Arizona may have understandable frustrations with the problems caused by illegal immigration ... but the state may not pursue policies that undermine federal law."

Mitt Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential candidate
    in a press release on CNN's Live Blog -- "Today's decision underscores the need for a President who will lead on this critical issue and work in a bipartisan fashion to pursue a national immigration strategy. President Obama has failed to provide any leadership on immigration. This represents yet another broken promise by this President.

"I believe that each state has the duty–and the right–to secure our borders and preserve the rule of law, particularly when the federal government has failed to meet its responsibilities. As Candidate Obama, he promised to present an immigration plan during his first year in office. But 4 years later, we are still waiting."

President Obama
    -- "No American should ever live under a cloud of suspicion just because of what they look like."

Karen Tumlin, managing attorney for the National Immigration Law Center
    told USA Today -- "This is not a green light. It said 'We're letting it go today cautiously' and marked the constitutional boundaries around this provision," she said. "It's quite clear that this is just the opening round of legal challenges."

Larry Dever, a county sheriff in Arizona
    , told ABC News -- "While this is not a total win, it is a partial victory for sheriffs, who are constitutional officers, and confirms we have the authority to inquire of the legal status of people we think are here illegally."

Alabama Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard in a press release -- "The Court's decision to uphold the real teeth of Arizona's illegal immigration law is a victory for Alabama and for all states that are fed up with the federal government's refusal to enforce the law."

U.S. Senators Jon Kyl and John McCain, both from Arizona
    , issued this press release -- “While we still want to fully review the Supreme Court’s decision, today’s ruling appears to validate a key component of Arizona’s immigration law, SB 1070. The Arizona law was born out of the state’s frustration with the burdens that illegal immigration and continued drug smuggling impose on its schools, hospitals, criminal justice system and fragile desert environment, and an administration that chooses to set enforcement policies based on a political agenda, not the laws as written by Congress.

"We will continue our efforts on behalf of the citizens of Arizona to secure our southern border. We believe Arizonans are better served when state and federal officials work as partners to protect our citizens rather than as litigants in a courtroom.”

Politicians, others react to Supreme Court ruling on Arizona immigration law | al.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    President Obama -- "No American should ever live under a cloud of suspicion just because of what they look like."
    Always trying to play the race card although this has nothing to do will race all to do with rule of law and putting American's safety and job security first.

I know not where to turn! Romneys statement in this article is still cloudy to dark in what it or he means. I know that a voter survey that I rec'd from him asked no questions about what I thought about immigration issues, zip, none out of 17 questions. I know that I read here in alipac news this morning that two Texas business men had given Romney's campaign 20 million dollars. I know that Texas businesses hire cheap mexican labor, cheaply as possible aka illegals. I know that Romney is big business. I know that I will not vote for Obama or Romney. I need a candid candidatate!