Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Poll: Latin America indifferent over US election

Oct 31, 7:26 PM EDT

Poll: Latin America indifferent over US election

By FRANK BAJAK
    Associated Press Writer

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- Two in three Latin Americans either don't care who wins Tuesday's U.S. presidential election or don't think the outcome will matter, according to a survey in 18 countries.

The poll found that 29 percent of Latin Americans think a victory by Democrat Barack Obama would be better for the region while 8 percent prefer Republican John McCain.

The rest essentially don't know or don't care: 29 percent did not believe either candidate was a superior choice for Latin America, while 31 percent said they did not know.

The poll by Chile-based Latinobarometro also found that one in three Latin Americans think Washington will not pay more attention to the region, regardless of who wins.

"They believe that the U.S. election will not produce any change in Latin America," said Marta Lagos, Latinobarometro's director. "The most important finding, I think, is that the United States is losing power in Latin America."

As for which candidate would be best for Latin America, Obama had the most support in the Dominican Republic, with 52 percent, followed by Costa Rica with 43 percent, Brazil and Uruguay with 41 percent each and Argentina with 36 percent.

McCain was strongest in Colombia, Washington's closest ally in the region, with 19 percent, followed by El Salvador with 16 percent.

The face-to-face poll, conducted between Sept. 5 and Oct. 5, sampled 1,000 to 1,200 people per country and has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

The survey also gauged familiarity with the U.S. election: The authors called it "the most emblematic the United States has had in its contemporary history," but 57 percent of Latin Americans surveyed had little or no knowledge of it.

Lagos said she was intrigued that only 41 percent of Venezuelans said they had knowledge of the election, given that their leftist president, Hugo Chavez, is constantly trying to demonize the U.S. government.

"I find it very interesting because Chavez is attacking a country about which his people know little," she said

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/ ... TE=DEFAULT
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Who cares what folks from Latin America think?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

But you still have the rest of the world largely in favor of Obama. International polling has shown that Europeans and Asians would rather see Obama take office instead of McCain. Seems like electing Obama would help our damaged image around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye88
    But you still have the rest of the world largely in favor of Obama. International polling has shown that Europeans and Asians would rather see Obama take office instead of McCain. Seems like electing Obama would help our damaged image around the world.
    Quite frankly I don't care about our image. That's the problem with people. The election is all "image" and no substance. When you do an in-the-street interview and give McCain's policies to the interviewees as if they belonged to Obama, they still say they are voting for Obama, even if Sarah Palin is his VP, even if he is for the surge in Iraq, etc. These people are voting on race and image NOT the issues. They didn't even know Obama's issues.

We are the most charitable country in the world. We are the first ones there when a disaster hits others countries, we have forgiven war debts, etc. Yet, we are the big bad selfish country. Quite frankly they are whiners and I don't care what they think of me, because I don't very well of them either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

welcome to Alipac EagleEye88
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Welcome EagleEye.

Interesting comments...

Tuesday will be a long day for all of us. I heard one news report the results might not be available for days...

So much riding on this at all levels local to national.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Quite frankly I don't care about our image. That's the problem with people. The election is all "image" and no substance. When you do an in-the-street interview and give McCain's policies to the interviewees as if they belonged to Obama, they still say they are voting for Obama, even if Sarah Palin is his VP, even if he is for the surge in Iraq, etc. These people are voting on race and image NOT the issues. They didn't even know Obama's issues.

We are the most charitable country in the world. We are the first ones there when a disaster hits others countries, we have forgiven war debts, etc. Yet, we are the big bad selfish country. Quite frankly they are whiners and I don't care what they think of me, because I don't very well of them either.
    Quite honestly, you can say that about McCain supporters too. Many are voting for him simply because he's a Republican or a war hero regardless of the issues he stands on.

And isolation is not the answer. In real life, being the loner or anti-socialite usually never results in success in life for the individual. You need to be able to interact and successfully cooperate with others you share this world with. You need credibility or else risk losing having a say in international affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo

Quite honestly, you can say that about McCain supporters too. Many are voting for him simply because he's a Republican or a war hero regardless of the issues he stands on.

And isolation is not the answer. In real life, being the loner or anti-socialite usually never results in success in life for the individual. You need to be able to interact and successfully cooperate with others you share this world with. You need credibility or else risk losing having a say in international affairs.
    I think we both have valid points and different perspectives. So I'll agree to disagree with you.

WELCOME TO ALIPAC.

Welcome to Alipac EagleEye88.

Ephesians 4:32
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Who CARES what Latin America thinks?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn