Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Praying for family-friendly immigration

Praying for family-friendly immigration

Posted 11m ago
    By Emily Gersema, The Arizona Republic

PHOENIX — Amid the legal challenges to stop Arizona's tough new immigration law, a small group of people gather regularly on the corner of a dusty lot in south-central Phoenix to pray the rosary.
    Since June 13, participants in "Forty Days in the Desert" have prayed for immigrants, U.S. citizens and changes in federal immigration enforcement.

By 7 p.m. one recent evening, about 25 people slouched in metal folding chairs and recited the "Hail Mary" prayer in Spanish and, later, in English.

"Dios te salve, Maria, llena eres de gracia," they pray. Teens yell out their car windows at the group. But the eyes of those praying remain closed, heads bowed as they hear the intermittent "click" of each prayer bead as it falls. "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee … "

"Forty Days in the Desert" was orchestrated by Fernando Ruiz, a member of Mary's Ministries, a Catholic group. He says he wanted to do something about Arizona's immigration law, Senate Bill 1070 (SB 1070).

ARIZONA TRAINING VIDEO: Follow directions to watch video here
    IMMIGRATION LAW: Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of law
    SCHOOLS: Unsure of new immigration law

The law makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally. It states that an officer engaged in a lawful stop can ask about a person's legal status when reasonable suspicion exists that the person is in the United States illegally.

Set to take effect July 29, the law already faces legal challenges from two police officers, other groups and the U.S. Justice Department, which says the law usurps the federal government's "pre-eminent authority" under the Constitution to regulate immigration. On Friday, a challenge filed in federal court says training materials designed to teach police officers how to enforce the law give "vague and ill-defined factors" as reasons to question someone's legal status.

Republican Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer defends the law as necessary because, she says, the federal government has failed to secure the Border. On Sunday, Brewer met privately with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. Both are in Boston for the National Governors Association's summer meeting.

Napolitano ignored a request for comment following the meeting, but Brewer said the two did not discuss the Justice Department lawsuit.

Ruiz said he believes the law was created out of fear amid the recession.

"Our country is suffering," he said. "When people are scared, they say stupid things, hurtful things. You've just got to get beyond the rhetoric."

Signs posted on the desolate corner where the group meets announce its intent: "To develop a family policy on immigration for Arizona and the United States."

To draw participants and raise awareness, Ruiz launched Twitter and Facebook pages. The prayer group is set to finish its 40th day of the rosary a few days after SB 1070 is scheduled to become law.

Peggy Oursland, a native of Phoenix who recently began attending the rosary prayers, said she has seen children worried that they will be forced to leave the country because of it.

"I would hate to be pushed out," said Oursland, 50. "And I would hate to see it happen to them."
    -----------------------------------------------
    Post comments @
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... tion_N.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How about praying for people to stop violating U.S. laws.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here's my family policy. Mexican families live in Mexico. American families live in the U.S. Illegal parents of citizen children can either leave the kids behind or take them with them to Mexico.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    Here's my family policy. Mexican families live in Mexico. American families live in the U.S. Illegal parents of citizen children can either leave the kids behind or take them with them to Mexico.
    Now that's what I call Family freindly immigration!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    We don't care, we have had it, those of us that have had ours, our loved ones, and those in our communities rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness denied. Our health care, our education, our jobs and wages,OUR SAFETY! Illegal aliens do not respect our laws or honor our sovereignty and guess what? Learn your prayer in English First while standing in line earning your "Right" to becoming A Legal American citizen.
    We did not invite you. You broke into our Nation. You have taken advantage.
    Illegal alien, you and only you are responsible for you and your families selfishness. Pray to God for Forgiveness. Not my Compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by airdale
    We don't care, we have had it, those of us that have had ours, our loved ones, and those in our communities rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness denied. Our health care, our education, our jobs and wages,OUR SAFETY! Illegal aliens do not respect our laws or honor our sovereignty and guess what? Learn your prayer in English First while standing in line earning your "Right" to becoming A Legal American citizen.
    We did not invite you. You broke into our Nation. You have taken advantage.
    Illegal alien, you and only you are responsible for you and your families selfishness. Pray to God for Forgiveness. Not my Compassion.
    The most ignorant of them, which is the majority of them, were told to come here and that they had a right to be here and if anyone disputes that, cry racism. They didn't know any better other than what they were being told. It was our leaders who sold us out, encouraging and agreeing to this masive invasion. It was all for the sole purpose of profits for the elite while American companies were allowed to establish themselves in Mexico. This was the trade-off. American companies get cheap labor on both sides of the border while Mexican workers enjoy high employment..by their standards, and the American worker gets the shaft. All part of an elaborate scheme called the Security and Prosperity Partnership known as thre SSP. But wait, there's more to that, but not for today.

Banned
    I been dealing with this mess a long time, I have dealt with and known thousands of Illegal aliens and not a one has shown me an invitation from an "elite white company".
    I do agree that, we all know the rotten apples we have been dealt by the scum in Washington and greedy illegal practices of businesses large and small. But...
    Illegal aliens came here of their on choice, breaking in to take advantage.
    I do hold illegal aliens accountable, as I would a drunk driver that hurts or kills someone driving drunk. Would you only blame the bar or store that sold the booze? Thats preposterous and only excuses,and confuses responsibility issues. Illegal aliens were smart enough to play the game and cheat. Now they face the consequeces of Their actions. Never severe enough in my opinion. My compassion flew out the window for these deserters of their own country a long time ago.
    Now if thats the road you want to travel, so be it. I could go on but I wont at this time.